Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Star San suck back  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Re: Star San suck back
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 01:12:15 pm »
Is this really necessary, or is it just one more fun-but-pricey-gadget looking for a problem that has a simpler solution?  For the advertised $49.99 price, I could almost buy enough malt for two more brews!

I've been using cheap vodka for years for 5.5 gal fermentations with no obvious problems.

But hey, it's your money.

Cheers either way!

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:14 pm »
Is this really necessary, or is it just one more fun-but-pricey-gadget looking for a problem that has a simpler solution?  For the advertised $49.99 price, I could almost buy enough malt for two more brews!

I've been using cheap vodka for years for 5.5 gal fermentations with no obvious problems.

But hey, it's your money.

Cheers either way!
They charge $50, I made mine for about $4.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 05:43:50 pm »
Rods and nuts were dirt cheap. I had the o-rings, plastic tubing, jars and air lock on hand. Easy peasy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 05:48:19 pm »
Robert, I'll be curious to see if once you have your Speidel 30L if you think you'll still need this. The airlocks are huge, and if properly filled I don't see how they could suck back. Mine never do.

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 06:03:54 pm »
Robert, I'll be curious to see if once you have your Speidel 30L if you think you'll still need this. The airlocks are huge, and if properly filled I don't see how they could suck back. Mine never do.

My plan is not to use the Speidel airlock. (They do look like a great design though.) I'm getting the gas in/PRV accessory, and I plan to use the jar rig attached with a gas QD as my airlock. (I'm open to other options for an airlock using the gas post, but I've got this tinkered together, just need to add a flare nut.) I've never been concerned with LIQUID suckback, but now that I've got this thingy ironed out, I won't worry as much about AIR getting sucked in when crashing. Sort of a CO2 buffer.  And I won't have to open the fermenter at all to change accessories to do a closed transfer, or take a sample, or anything.  Totally closed system from pitching to serving, and since I quit filtering I'll have as close as I can get to no cold side O2 exposure.  'Cause I got plenty o' hot side O2. Repeat mantra: all beer is oxidized...

PS Nor cal rocks.  Order shipped within a couple of hours of placing it.  Will have it for next batch.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:09:21 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline kmycek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 09:41:27 am »
Sorry. But I’m another nay-sayer. Homebrewers like me like gadgets, but something like this is really superfluous.

Blow off tubes only need to go under the surface of the water/starsan/vodka etc that they are placed in. By assuring that there is only enough volume of water to fill the tube 2/3 of the way up to the top, the vacuum will always be broken before the liquid gets sucked all he way back into the beer.

But, if it makes you happy to fiddle and deal with more gear in your fridge, then go nuts!

I (fortunately) don’t have to deal with this issue, anymore. Anytime I cool my conical, I put on a lb or two of CO2.

Mylo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:14 am »

I (fortunately) don’t have to deal with this issue, anymore. Anytime I cool my conical, I put on a lb or two of CO2.

Mylo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, that is a great idea, and I could do that on the Speidel.  Thanks for the idea.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 10:08:30 am »
Nor cal says they've run 30lbs into a Speidel, I wouldn't go more than 5. You'll see how they gallon out... I imagine 30 could make a pretty big bang if it fails

Offline Robert

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:15 am »
Nor cal says they've run 30lbs into a Speidel, I wouldn't go more than 5. You'll see how they gallon out... I imagine 30 could make a pretty big bang if it fails

But 1 or 2 sounds smart.  I'll have to figure out what the negative pressure of cooling ~2gal by 30°F or so would be, you just need to counter that. After that, 5lb should be more than enough for a transfer.

EDIT  Tire guy says rule of thumb is 1psi/10°F
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:24:45 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 11:13:28 am »

Fact that they balloon out is a good thing, safety margin, glass won't do that.  Just at LHBS, they told me about a customer who was recently doing a closed transfer from a carboy.   The racking cane clogged so he decided to clear it by putting on a couple extra psi.  Turned his back and heard the bang.  Now has lots of stitches in his back (and no beer.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 11:33:23 am »

Fact that they balloon out is a good thing, safety margin, glass won't do that.  Just at LHBS, they told me about a customer who was recently doing a closed transfer from a carboy.   The racking cane clogged so he decided to clear it by putting on a couple extra psi.  Turned his back and heard the bang.  Now has lots of stitches in his back (and no beer.)
Good thing he turned his back. Safety glasses are a cheap safety precaution. Always a good idea dealing with pressure, even if it's plastic.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 02:58:06 pm »
I use Speidel fermenters almost exclusively (sometimes it makes sense to use a glass carboy like in a recent split batch yeast experiment I did) and while I don't go LODO crazy (🤯) I do make an effort to minimize oxygen on the cold side. I fill kegs with Star San and push it out with CO2 and then use the valve on the Speidel to transfer to the bottom of the keg with silicone tubing. How are you doing a closed transfer with a Speidel? If it's simple and cheap that's an easy way to minimize O2 even more!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 03:15:42 pm »
I use Speidel fermenters almost exclusively (sometimes it makes sense to use a glass carboy like in a recent split batch yeast experiment I did) and while I don't go LODO crazy (🤯) I do make an effort to minimize oxygen on the cold side. I fill kegs with Star San and push it out with CO2 and then use the valve on the Speidel to transfer to the bottom of the keg with silicone tubing. How are you doing a closed transfer with a Speidel? If it's simple and cheap that's an easy way to minimize O2 even more!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been doing closed transfers from carboys, but I just ordered my Speidel and am waiting for it.  I ordered from Nor Cal, and detailed it on the closed transfer thread.  In place of the airlock on top I'm getting a corny gas post and PRV.   In place of the spigot is a combined dip tube ported for a ball valve, and a thermowell.  So I will use a gas QD on top to run a blow off in place of airlock in fermentation, then transfer to keg liquid side with gas in and liquid out the ball valve.  Totally closed.  I think I linked those accessories on the closed transfer thread on the general board.  If not (I'll check) I will.

EDIT yep, see reply #46 there for links to the parts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:17:30 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2018, 03:17:55 pm »
Totally closed except for that 900ppm of o2 left in a sanipurged keg. Sorry I had to be that guy. On the bright side.. It's better then the other way!

Offline Robert

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 03:19:04 pm »
Totally closed except for that 900ppm of o2 left in a sanipurged keg. Sorry I had to be that guy. On the bright side.. It's better then the other way!

Dude, I use your purging method.   Got a better one?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio