Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you properly dissolve calcium carbonate?  (Read 8835 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How do you properly dissolve calcium carbonate?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:24 am »
Martin has reported in his Brun Water info page that lime should be added directly to the mash. IIRC.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 10:12:46 am »
I never add anything directly to the mash, but always prepare liquor before mashing in, simply because, IME, the buffer systems can set up so rapidly that once grain hits water your pH is pretty well locked in. If you mash in, check pH, then try to adjust, you may see a change in pH at first, but if you check back a bit later it will have been pulled back toward the initial value. Take notes, and revise your treatment next time.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 03:05:40 pm »
Martin has reported in his Brun Water info page that lime should be added directly to the mash. IIRC.

In an occasional lack of forethought, I had stated that lime should be added directly to the mash to avoid a case where that addition causes calcium carbonate to precipitate. What I failed to recognize is that we are typically adding lime to mashing water that has too little alkalinity. It takes high calcium and alkalinity in the water for the precipitation reaction to occur. Therefore, it's almost impossible that adding lime to mashing water is going to cause that precipitation.

So, its OK to add your lime dose directly to your mashing water before adding the grains.

PS: the mashing water pH is likely to be fairly high, but it will quickly moderate to your targeted mashing pH when the grains are added. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:07:11 pm by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 03:10:31 pm »

In an occasional lack of forethought, I had stated that lime should be added directly to the mash to avoid a case where that addition causes calcium carbonate to precipitate. What I failed to recognize is that we are typically adding lime to mashing water that has too little alkalinity. It takes high calcium and alkalinity in the water for the precipitation reaction to occur. Therefore, it's almost impossible that adding lime to mashing water is going to cause that precipitation.

So, its OK to add your lime dose directly to your mashing water before adding the grains.

PS: the mashing water pH is likely to be fairly high, but it will quickly moderate to your targeted mashing pH when the grains are added.
Thanks Martin, this helps a lot!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 06:13:30 am »
I do BIAB for porters and stouts.

I add 5 grams of CaSO4 and 3.7 grams of Calcium Chloride (per Martin's spreadsheet)to my tap water before I heat the water to strike temp and add my grains.  I and others like the resulting brews.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!