Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lid off or on?  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: lid off or on?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:45 pm »
Thanks, Martin!  Tomorrow's 100% Pils.   I'll try sticking with 60, but covered and gently boiling the first 30 and a little gentler than usual thereafter.  That just might get me down near 8% (from current 11%) without having to rethink anything else. (My elevation is 1004 ft -- close enough!)  [Awaiting delivery of my own Kunze, should have   bitten the bullet on the price long ago.]

Heh..

You should have reached out to me, I get special pricing on Kunze, Narziss, Fix, etc.

Ph also matters a pH of 5.4 splits dms twice as fast.

Well, I'll keep you in mind! I ordered from Siebel, more expensive than the publisher, but w/o international shipping. (Where I got the bargain priced DeClerck, which starts to seem as dated as Thausing!)

Bru'n Water predicts pH 5.40, but actual was a bit lower last time with this profile.  This time I'll  be super careful with my acid addition and see if that fixes it.

I have first editions of “A Textbook of Brewing”. They may be dated in some places but you’ll be amazed how much is still relevant after 70+ years. Amazing books.

Yes indeed, relevant and helpful enough that I've leaned  on it and resisted shelling out for the Kunze until now.  But thanks to you guys on the forum it's become obvious I need to fill out my bookshelf!

(BTW you've probably noted that there are still useful nuggets in Thausing after 100+ years.  Shows how enormous a chunk of brewing science was done in the 19th c., with technology being the bulk of later advances!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:08:18 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 12:02:34 pm »
Brew's in the settling tank, time to report.  60 min boil. 1st 40, lid just barely cracked open to prevent boil-over, heat ~70% of usual full-bore, wort very gently circulating.  Last 20 lid off, heat on full. 

Evaporation rate: 8% on the nose! 

Moreover, the malt flavor of the wort is noticeably more rich and biscuity than usual.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 12:06:38 pm »
A study maybe 20 years ago found that as long as you had 15% open space, you were good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 12:20:33 pm »
A study maybe 20 years ago found that as long as you had 15% open space, you were good.

Good as to what?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 12:48:30 pm »

Good as to what?

DMS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 12:52:12 pm »

Good as to what?

DMS
Good to know.  I just opened up at 20 min to make sure the boil was kicking for late hops & Irish moss at 15, I could probably not worry about that.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 03:52:42 pm »
The wort and resulting beer will taste considerably better with the lower boil off. TBI is real. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 04:21:23 pm »
The wort and resulting beer will taste considerably better with the lower boil off. TBI is real. 

It is amazing to see what a minor tweak to procedure can do.  Any changes to my physical setup are off the table, so I can't alter some methods, but low intensity boil is how I go from now on.  Period. For next brew day (I brew every 2 weeks) I've got Brewtan B on order.  Can't wait to see what another easy tweak will do.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 05:14:44 pm »

It is amazing to see what a minor tweak to procedure can do.  Any changes to my physical setup are off the table, so I can't alter some methods, but low intensity boil is how I go from now on.  Period. For next brew day (I brew every 2 weeks) I've got Brewtan B on order.  Can't wait to see what another easy tweak will do.
Robert, you seem so enthusiastic, I'll try a 40 simmer covered/20 open boil on my next pale lager brew. I already use Brewtan B on my palest beers. See if I find an improvement. I had to recalculate my water volume and such, but what the hey

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 05:33:16 pm »

Robert, you seem so enthusiastic, I'll try a 40 simmer covered/20 open boil on my next pale lager brew. I already use Brewtan B on my palest beers. See if I find an improvement. I had to recalculate my water volume and such, but what the hey
From what Denny said above, you could even go longer low and covered I guess.  This was just a random starting point for me. But I sure do notice a flavor difference in the wort, it's also paler, and by the look when I oxygenated it the foam might be a little sturdier too.  I've started to notice so many people already swear by BTB,  maybe just these two little things will get my Pils over the wall I've hit getting it to the next level!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »
FWIW I do a 60 minute fully covered with 6% boil off.  Nearly every one of my beers has a very high% of pils.  I have only gotten dms when approaching 4%. 

It’s funny to see this being brought up again. We advocated it nearly 3 years ago and everyone scoffed.  :)

Offline Robert

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:30 pm »
If Denny and Martin and Bryan and Derek ALL say something really works, and all I have to do is move a lid and twist a knob on my existing equipment....
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 06:28:01 pm »
I think we all get spooked early on about DMS, and no lid, and 90 min open boil... but I have never detected DMS in any of my beers. Not that long ago brulosophy did the 60min pils boil test and I recall all the flak they took. Just to be a rebel, I tried it, and have not wasted my time on a 90min DMS fear boil since. I'll be trying this anti-heat stroke thing too, only because it's not much added effort. But I disagree with your "proof" standard... I have to read it on brulosophy, lol!

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 06:41:43 pm »
I think we all get spooked early on about DMS, and no lid, and 90 min open boil... but I have never detected DMS in any of my beers. Not that long ago brulosophy did the 60min pils boil test and I recall all the flak they took. Just to be a rebel, I tried it, and have not wasted my time on a 90min DMS fear boil since. I'll be trying this anti-heat stroke thing too, only because it's not much added effort. But I disagree with your "proof" standard... I have to read it on brulosophy, lol!
You hit on what got me, not much effort. Why not try?  What I learned here on this thread, or was reminded of, is that you aren't driving off DMS that whole long boil, you have to make it first.  So the long way is wasted effort, and now I see it can actually do a lot of harm.  Funny thing:   When I finally took the lid off today, boom! Really smelled the DMS!  And eleven out of sixteen Brulosophy sniffers would have too, but they wouldn't be able to say what it was.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 06:51:06 pm »
Ya, who knows. If they hang out with those guys though, they might be a lot more educated on beer than folks are willing to admit. I don't know them so I'm hesitant to cubby hole them.

This is the problem with demanding proof. It goes both way. We need to avoid blanket statements unless they are complimentary, lol.

Anyway, it was humor that I only believe things if brulosophy prints it. But, the few things that they've printed, which I have tried, tend to come true.