Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making a Yeast Starter From 2-row  (Read 2938 times)

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
Making a Yeast Starter From 2-row
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:45:37 am »
I can't find any DME in my city, so I am thinking on making a yeast starter from 2-row. Can I use well water and don't worry about my PH? I don't have a PH meter. Or do what I do when I make beer, Bru'n Water, RO water with brewing salts.

Big Monk

Re: Making a Yeast Starter From 2-row
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 05:11:51 am »
I can't find any DME in my city, so I am thinking on making a yeast starter from 2-row. Can I use well water and don't worry about my PH? I don't have a PH meter. Or do what I do when I make beer, Bru'n Water, RO water with brewing salts.

If it were me, I'd make a small batch of beer basically.

You could certainly wing it, but think about the fact that DME is previously prepared wort. You want those yeasties in tip-top for the wild ride they'll be going on and a lovingly prepared wort is a great start.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:48:36 am »
If you make beer with that water, just scale down to the starter batch size you need. Some yeast nutrients are going to help the yeast grow and build reserves. I have done what you propose, no issues.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:52:48 am »
What about my water profile? No hops though? Minimum on everything?

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:37:10 am »
What about my water profile? No hops though? Minimum on everything?

I would do a mini-mash, no salts, get the pH in line and just do a beta rest for 30 minutes. Boil it briefly and add yeast nutrient then cool and pitch the starter yeast.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:14 am »
Sounds good. Thanks for the replies.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:02:04 am »
How are you going to store it?

I would mash (using brunwater for pH) at 3.35 qts/lb to get 1.040, run off to half gallon canning jars, run them through pressure cooker for 15min.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:49:18 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 09:04:13 am »

Never try to treat water unless you know where the water is to begin with. If you don't know the makeup of your well water just use the RO and Bru'n Water.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 10:29:35 am »

Never try to treat water unless you know where the water is to begin with. If you don't know the makeup of your well water just use the RO and Bru'n Water.

THIS^^^^. And I don't know why there's any need to worry about pH in this case.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:43 am »

THIS^^^^. And I don't know why there's any need to worry about pH in this case.
My thinking is that pH effects conversion and could effect tannin extraction. Frankly, If there was no DME in town, I would order some online.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 06:04:05 am »
I just ordered some stuff online and assumed our local Brew Your Own would have some DME. They no longer sell supplies of anything. Yea, a city of 75,000 and not one place that sells DME. I am using my wort right away and not freezing it.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »
I just did this. I used some older 2 row and made 3 gallons of wort. Boiled it for 45 min. Cooled it and came out at 1.045. Used it to step up some 2124,860, and a really old tube of 036. Worked great, but a lot more time than DME. I did adjust with a little acid. Under up going low, yeast didn’t seem to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 03:01:17 pm »
I just ordered some stuff online and assumed our local Brew Your Own would have some DME. They no longer sell supplies of anything. Yea, a city of 75,000 and not one place that sells DME. I am using my wort right away and not freezing it.
I make starter wort from old 2-row and freeze it. I make a 1.080 wort, freeze it in 1 pint and 1 quart containers. When I need a 1 liter starter, use 1 pint of frozen wort and dilute to 1.036, 2 liter, use a 1 quart container. It saves space in the freezer if you make a 1.080 wort. The wort made from 2-row is dirt cheap compare to DME.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:13:01 pm by HighVoltageMan! »

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:25:54 am »
I just tossed it in the fridge to settle and step it up again for my lager. I couldn't believe how fast it started to work, within 2 hours. Very light compared to DME. It was done in just over 24 hrs. which is fast compared to DME. I did make 2.5 gallons and put the left over wort in a santized container in the fridge for around 3 days until I use it to step up my WLP810.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 11:44:55 am »
I heard that honey can be used in a pinch.
Far better to dare mighty things....