Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: style for comparing yeasts  (Read 1584 times)

Offline evilgiraffe

• 1st Kit
style for comparing yeasts
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:13:16 am »
Simple question here that I'm sure will not yield simple answers......

What style of beer would be best if you wanted to compare ale yeasts?

My plan would be to brew multiple 5-gallon batches keeping everything else as constant as possible and just changing out yeasts. I'm sure many have done this and just want some opinions on which style would best suit this kind of experiment.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: style for comparing yeasts
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:18 am »
I'd say anything light colored, not too hoppy and not too complex.  Like pils malt to bout 1.045-50 and about 30 IBU.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:44 am »
Anything *but* IPA.

I swear, 80% of the exbeeriments run these days............
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »
I'd say anything light colored, not too hoppy and not too complex.  Like pils malt to bout 1.045-50 and about 30 IBU.

This for sure. I have brewed the same recipe 95% 2row, 5% crystal 10, and roughly 30 IBU. Thee different yeasts (34/70, WB-06, and Danstar Nottingham). The beers could not have been any more different, and  I finally found the "peach" flavor of Nottingham people have mentioned.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:57:58 pm »
I'm going to go a little against the grain and suggest that it depends on your purpose. One thing I found interesting when touring White Labs a few years ago was their method of testing yeasts in comparison to the 'proper' yeast for a style. For example, maybe they would brew a Scottish 80 shilling and ferment it with the regular Edinburgh yeast and 4 or 5 others. You could then get a flight to tell what the same wort would taste like in 5 or 6 different finished beers.

Offline evilgiraffe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 12:59:49 pm »
Wow. Mostly surprisingly simple answers. :)
Looking forward to trying this. Until now I've just brewed whatever I felt like doing/drinking with a lot of hit and miss. Time to add some "science" to the mix.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:32:32 am »
If you want faster results that don't leave you with 5 gallons of beer from yeasts you don't like, how about splitting the wort to 5 1 gallon fermentors? Then you can compare side by side too

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 08:11:42 am »
Any style you like and a recipe you're familiar with. No point in brewing 4 or 5 pilsners if you don't like pilsners. I don't see a point in using pilsner malt either if you mostly use Maris Otter, or a smaller beer if you plan on mostly brewing 8%+ beer.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
I agree with Denny, but I think the IBUs can be even lower and any pale base malt will do. Personally, I would use 2-row or a British style base malt, shoot for 1.040-1.055 and 20-30 ibus with no dry hops and no major whirlpool addition.

That said, I have run numerous yeast strain semi-experiments with standard American Amber Ale and Special Bitter recipes and have been pleased with the results.