Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mexican'ish' lager  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
mexican'ish' lager
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:01:17 pm »
Any feedback?

49% pilsner
24% flaked corn
20% vienna
5% agave (added at flameout)
2% honey malt

18 IBUs
bitter with magnum
1/2 oz sterling late

2 pureed limes added near the end of the boil

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: mexican'ish' lager
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:15:44 pm »
Pureed limes will add pithy bitterness.  Maybe shoot for just 10 IBUs.  Yes I'm serious.

Looks good otherwise.  I would drink LOTS of it.

What yeast??
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:49:27 pm »
Pureed limes will add pithy bitterness.  Maybe shoot for just 10 IBUs.  Yes I'm serious.

Looks good otherwise.  I would drink LOTS of it.

What yeast??

Going with S-189 just because I have it on hand. I know it isn't the best choice.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't settled on pureed whole limes yet. I may just add the zest and juice.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:58:26 pm »
I'd just put the lime on the rim of the glass, but that's me.

A Mexican lager is on my short list this year. My plan was to just do 3 parts Vienna, 1 part Corn, and however much 6 row needed to convert all that as a starting point.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it turns out. A half-barrel of Dos Equis Ambar costs more where I live than some craft beers. (But all the Mexican restaurants serve it $3.50/L during happy hour...)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:16:42 pm »
Bohemia is actually a nice Pilsner.   It may be all malt. It tastes like beer instead of corn and CO2 with a lime.  Poking around after trying it I learned that Mexican brewers are more inclined to use European malts than North American,  at least in the premium brands, so you guys have the right idea with Pils and Vienna. I'm kinda with Phil on this.  Put the lime on the rim of the glass.  Then pour the beer into a different glass and drink it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:25:04 pm »
Bohemia is actually a nice Pilsner.   It may be all malt. It tastes like beer instead of corn and CO2 with a lime.  Poking around after trying it I learned that Mexican brewers are more inclined to use European malts than North American,  at least in the premium brands, so you guys have the right idea with Pils and Vienna. I'm kinda with Phil on this.  Put the lime on the rim of the glass.  Then pour the beer into a different glass and drink it.

Not long ago a new (American, not Hispanic) waiter at the local Mom and Pop Mexican joint squeezed several limes straight into my Dos Equis Ambar...it was not a good day. I like the aroma of a lime with a Mexican lager, not the flavor of one. The rim puts it close to my nose and away from my tongue.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:34:13 pm »
This beer is partly influenced by session cerveza which I enjoy and tastes to me like it has a light infusion of lime in it although I can’t find any information confirming that.

I will put a lime on a glass, set it aside and put my lime infused beer in a different glass and drink it

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:40:43 pm »
This beer is partly influenced by session cerveza which I enjoy and tastes to me like it has a light infusion of lime in it although I can’t find any information confirming that.

I will put a lime on a glass, set it aside and put my lime infused beer in a different glass and drink it

On that note, Flying Dog has a Mexican style Cervesa that they brew with lime. If that's the sort of thing you're aiming for, I have to admit it's quite tasty. Might be worth an email to them to see how they'd recommend adding the lime to the brewing process.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 05:48:23 pm »

On that note, Flying Dog has a Mexican style Cervesa that they brew with lime. If that's the sort of thing you're aiming for, I have to admit it's quite tasty. Might be worth an email to them to see how they'd recommend adding the lime to the brewing process.

Thanks for that. Their site says they add peel post fermentation. That was my original idea but I struggle with amounts. I would hate to overdo it. Maybe just the zest of 1-2 limes would do it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 05:49:01 pm »
Yeast? WLP-940 Mexican Lager Yeast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 05:49:23 pm »
I've noticed lots of craft brewers with "Mexican" lagers now infused with lime, hibiscus flowers (Great Lakes used them in, wait for it, Grandes Lagos,) cactus juice etc.  IIRC (and I may not) BYO had some recipes a summer or two ago.  Maybe you could search that.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 10:48:12 pm »
I'd keep the flaked corn to no more than 13%.  My understanding is too much can make it both corny and too sweet.  I also prefer to add fresh lime to the beer in the glass.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 06:53:57 am »
I'd keep the flaked corn to no more than 13%.  My understanding is too much can make it both corny and too sweet.  I also prefer to add fresh lime to the beer in the glass.

The flying dog beer that Phil recommend uses 33% corn. I have used 20% in a Mexican Vienna with no ill effects.

Thanks for the input. I have considered swapping the amount of corn and Vienna which is my main hang up at this point.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:42:47 am by goschman »

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 11:30:48 am »
Thanks G-Man!  I admit I did limited research before the Mexican Vienna Lager I brewed, and that's been a while ago.  I recall reading Zainasheff, some BYO or Zymurgy, and a little web surfing of articles and recipes, and then forging ahead based closely on Zainasheff.

Barriers are broken all the time, and norms change.  My experience is limited to only one Mexi-vienna-lager in the Negro Modelo style, but it did turn out very well.

I'd be interested to hear how yours turns out if you go 24% corn.

Cheers!!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 02:26:38 pm »
I use 10% corn, 10% rice. Keeps it light and dry with just a touch of corniness.
Far better to dare mighty things....