Author Topic: Thoughts on newer hops  (Read 599 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Thoughts on newer hops
« on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »
Spring is here, on the calendar anyway, and I am wanting to plant some hops. I live in the Plain States, Eastern Kansas. I have been looking at Great Lakes Hops to buy established plants or crowns. Has anyone had experience with Columbia? It is a sister of Willamette with higher Alpha,    https://www.greatlakeshops.com/store/p90/Columbia.  Also I am looking at Vojvodina, not sure how to pronounce it.  https://www.greatlakeshops.com/store/p58/_Vojvodina_-_Field_Grade.html.    I am looking for English type hops that would grow and produce with the hot summer days of the Plains. I used to live in Missouri and tried to grow Willamette and Golding without much luck. Although I did have luck with Cascade, MT Hood and Sterling , but not a lot of hops out of last two. thoughts ?   
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Thoughts on newer hops
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »
Depending upon how east you are in Kansas I'd expect your growing conditions are not much different from Missouri.

In my limited experience growing in a flat, hot climate I found English hops didn't hold up well at all, but I am not a great gardener. You might have better luck if you can give them some shade in the later part of the day and keep them well hydrated.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Re: Thoughts on newer hops
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply, the suggestion about shade in the later part of the day is a good idea.
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor