Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temp controller wired to control ONLY compressor?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline DrunkenDunkle

• 1st Kit
Temp controller wired to control ONLY compressor?
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:03 am »
I'm interested in wiring a johnson/ronco type dual stage to control only the compressor in my freezer fermentation setup. I am, in no way, intimidated by the controller or heater setup; However, i don't know anythong about this "compressor delay" that people keep mentioning. I would like to run a hot to the controller directly from where the power comes into the freezer to the controller (for it's power) and then use a relay in the controller to connect/disconnect the hot line feeding the start capacitor and compressor. Can this be done safely? Will the condenser fan run endlessly? My objective here is to keep the freezer light functioning and easily be able to revert to factory function for resale value, should i ever decide to upgrade.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Temp controller wired to control ONLY compressor?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:53:37 am »
My freezer has a light as well. I didn’t care enough and simply set it up with an outlet and plug the freezer in. This is the best option for resale as “reverting” is nothing more than unplugging.
I have one of these stuck to the outside of the lid for peeking. They are frequently free with a coupon and the batteries last over a year.
https://m.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklightflashlight-60566.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:43:04 am by Stevie »

Offline DrunkenDunkle

• 1st Kit
Re: Temp controller wired to control ONLY compressor?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
I've been eyeing the itc-308s... i figured the extra $10 for the ranco would look better and seemed like a more reliable device, being designed for industrial/commercial  use. I guess a magnetic light would work. Pretty much just open the door to stick additional fermenters in. It doesn't take long to run blowoff into the water jug either.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:00 am »
$10 more plus wire and labor. The inkbirds get great reviews.

You can wire a socket to the Ranco if you want to stick with them. Going this route you can use a quality extension cord for the wire and split it in the middle. Plenty have done this before the inkbirds hit the scene.

Offline DrunkenDunkle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:33:00 am »
I'll do some price shopping and compare my options. Thanks for the input.

Offline jynokon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:32:45 am »
I am facing similar problems. Searching a solution. My freezer does not have lighting option. What did you to solve your problems?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:22:31 pm by jynokon »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 06:04:20 am »
Greetings - the easiest and safest way to bypass the temperature control of the freezer, refrigerator, or whatever you have is to take the existing thermostat out of the circuit.  Thermostats in this type of equipment are typically a two wire “on-off” switch that switches based on temperature.  So, using the Inkbird controller would allow you to simply plug your freezer into the “cooling” side of the controller, set the temperature and away you go.  If your existing thermostat is NOT a two wire control, bypassing it while allowing the other components in the circuit to do their job  will be complicated.

I did this to my fermentation chamber (previously a kegerator) with great success.  However, I had no means of heating.  So, I purchased some inexpensive components from my local hardware store and a reptile heater from Amazon for $12 and wired my new heater to the “heat” side of the Inkbird and now I have full and complete control of my fermentation’s from below freezing to in the 90’s if I choose.

The wiring scheme you’re proposing can, if you’re not very familiar with refrigeration and associated controls, cause serious issues with the system refrigeration and electrical components and could potentially cause a fire, short circuit, or irreparable damage.  Just a word of caution.

Hope this information helps!

Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉