Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thin white film formed on top of bottle  (Read 3808 times)

Offline itsjoao

• 1st Kit
Thin white film formed on top of bottle
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:57:58 pm »
Hey guys,
i brewed an Irish Red Ale and it just finished carbonating. The strange thing is it has formed a thin white film layer on top. It doesn't smell, and it seems like the taste is ok. I've sanitized with 0,8% solution of Iodophor. Could it be a contamination? Should I dump the batch?

Thanks

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thin white film formed on top of bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:18:15 pm »
That is a classic pellicle.  Did you use Brett in the recipe?  If not, you have some contamination going on there.  You can still drink it, but you left a lot of headspace it appears and that might have been the culprit.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »
Agreed - it is a pellicle.  I have had it before, and coincidentally, two of the three times it was in an Irish Red.  Unfortunately, it can’t be corrected.  I recommend cold crashing the beer after it’s been fully conditioned.  The pellicle may sink to the bottom.  Taste it and see how it goes.

My issue was caused from my white plastic “food grade” bottling bucket.  I have since changed to a big mouth bubbler with a bottling spigot.  Problem gone.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:24:41 pm »
Looks like a pelicle to me

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:39 pm »
What was the prior use of that bottle? Clear embossed glass with a label still on it? I'm assuming a beer bottle? I've gotten to the point now where I'm real hesitant to reuse bottles, even my own blank bottles I buy from the store.  Just too many chances for bad bugs.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:55:56 pm »
That is a classic pellicle.  Did you use Brett in the recipe?  If not, you have some contamination going on there.  You can still drink it, but you left a lot of headspace it appears and that might have been the culprit.

A humble correction: Bret is a yeast and will not develop a pellicle.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:16:33 pm »

You are probably correct, technically. But the few times I used Brett it developed a dusty bubbly film just like that. Not saying it's Brett, but it doesn't look like normal sac either

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:22 pm »
I have had a pellicle form from using Brett. Specifically Brett B.
Even after bottling I have seen a pellicle form in the bottle from Brett B and from mix fermentation sours.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »
Lacto can also form pellicle.

Absolutely do not dump without tasting first.  Even then if the contaminant is Brett, the flavor will change over time so you may get something "better."  Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so you may hate it, you may love it. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:19 pm »

Brett is indeed a yeast but can definitely develop a pellicle.  In my experience, headspace and perhaps more importantly oxygen ingress play a role in pellicle development.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 04:58:24 am »

Brett is indeed a yeast but can definitely develop a pellicle.  In my experience, headspace and perhaps more importantly oxygen ingress play a role in pellicle development.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces

I have a wheat ale with prickly pear syrup in a glass carbon in my basement on a Brett Lambicus  pellicle at the moment.  I will keg it shortly and it looks very much like the OP’s photo.  If it isn’t technically a pellicle , then I stand corrected, but I would compare it to a Flanders pellicle, only lighter and thinner.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 04:59:07 am »
Looks like brett for sure

Offline itsjoao

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 06:29:03 am »
The taste doesn't seem much different. It has a very subtle sourness in my opinion. But it smells good and it's drinkable. I have yet to find out if it messes my stomach up haha. I don't think I've mixed the priming sugar very well, and some bottles haven't carbonated enough and are completely fine

What could I do to avoid this in future batches? Something happened during bottling because fermentation went fine. Should I start leaving less headroom?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:08 am »
I'll just be quiet over here in the corner.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:29 am »
The taste doesn't seem much different. It has a very subtle sourness in my opinion. But it smells good and it's drinkable. I have yet to find out if it messes my stomach up haha. I don't think I've mixed the priming sugar very well, and some bottles haven't carbonated enough and are completely fine

What could I do to avoid this in future batches? Something happened during bottling because fermentation went fine. Should I start leaving less headroom?

An Irish Red should not have any type of sour taste to it. Someone asked abut your bottles.  What type are they and how did you clean them.  Yes to the headspace question.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”