Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: are my faucets stainless or chrome?  (Read 2782 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
are my faucets stainless or chrome?
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:56:38 pm »
I have 3 old faucets and I am sure at least one of them is chrome but at least one of them is stainless.  I can't tell them apart. Is there a way I can test? I was thinking about taking my dremel to the side of them to cut through the chrome.  Even then, I don't know exactly what I am looking for. I know the magnet test won't work because brass and stainless are not magnetic.  Any ideas or surefire ways to tell?

Offline shawnacormier

• 1st Kit
Re: are my faucets stainless or chrome?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 04:25:43 pm »
Some stainless is magnetic. My stainless steel faucets are, indeed, magnetic, so a magnet sticks to them. Also, the chrome-plated faucet usually starts to chip, exposing the brass (makes the beer taste metallic as well).
@shawnabrews
AHA Governing Committee Chair

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:00:30 pm »
Some stainless is magnetic. My stainless steel faucets are, indeed, magnetic, so a magnet sticks to them. Also, the chrome-plated faucet usually starts to chip, exposing the brass (makes the beer taste metallic as well).
True, there's usually wear on chrome, especially if it's been around awhile.  Parts hidden from view may never have been well chromed.

Shawna, you got me curious.  Took a magnet down to the keezer, and, hey, Intertap stainless faucets are indeed magnetic!  Who'da thunk. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:53:32 pm »
Stainless steel is not magnetic? I have a refrigerator door I would like to show you.  8)

Kidding aside, it depends on the grain structure. Cold woking can make non-magnetic SS magnetic.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:04:51 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:53:26 pm »
Oh wow! that's interesting. I know that brass is not magnetic but I thought that stainless beer faucets would not be.  I guess I will plug in the dremel. I do know that if I hit it with a grinder and it sparks, it is stainless. That might not be too good of an idea though.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:53 pm »
^^^^
Dude, don't wreck your faucets.  Once you start grinding, you'll never be able to effectively keep them clean and sanitary.  But here's the real question:  why do you want to know?  If you don't see any exposed brass or chipped chrome on the beer-contacting surfaces of a faucet, no worries.  If you do, that's a good time to replace it with a stainless one.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:06:07 am »
^^^^
Dude, don't wreck your faucets.  Once you start grinding, you'll never be able to effectively keep them clean and sanitary.  But here's the real question:  why do you want to know?  If you don't see any exposed brass or chipped chrome on the beer-contacting surfaces of a faucet, no worries.  If you do, that's a good time to replace it with a stainless one.

I am getting rid of all of my chrome faucet/hardware. I had a chrome faucet giving off some metallic flavors and I was not into it.  I'm going to make it all stainless.  How would a scratch on the outside of the faucet keep me from being able to keep it sanitary? I would not touch any part that touches beer even a little.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:52:42 am »
^^^^
Cool.  I was just worried you might grind someplace out of sight, which you realize is not good.  Try the magnet first, it might just be the easy way.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:35:37 pm »
Oh! ha ha. I know I am not a genius but could not wrap my head around how I was going to screw this up.  i screw up often.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 11:42:31 am »
ok.  so I hit the bottom side of my faucets with a dremel and made a grind about the depth of a nickel.  no brass.  How thick is chrome plating on a faucet?

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 12:51:57 pm »
So thin it usually wears away just from use, or chips.  If you're like 1mm down, I'd say stop making your poor Dremel eat steel!    :D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 08:11:19 pm »
sweet.  the rest of the team are all stainless

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 03:48:07 pm »
I have three Perlik stainless faucets and one chrome plated brass faucet. The stainless faucets have a sort of matte finish, while the chrome faucet is very shiny and reflective. Stainless can be polished, but in most products it isn't, and therefore has a matte finish.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 05:01:04 pm »
Stainless Intertap faucets are mirror-shiny.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 11:47:59 pm »
Nope.  dug a bit deeper.  all brass.  I saw some kegco stainless faucets that I can get for like $12 bucks each but am torn between the standard faucet for cheap or the intertap dopeness for 32.99.  My taps stay in the fridge. I am leaning towards the intertap.