Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canned Microbrews  (Read 11983 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Canned Microbrews
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:45:00 am »
Cans make taking good beer on a camping trip easier.....when can I start getting my homebrew in them?

I would love to know how to do this, too, but I fear that the cost of canning is wayyyy beyond that of all but the deepest homebrew pockets - average microcanning rig is $10-50k.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:04:44 am »
Even big European 'macro' brewery beers are MUCH better in cans. My wife is from Germany and loves Becks, but will only drink it on draft or from  can. She refuses to drink it from bottles, and after trying both, I agree, the canned Becks is actually pretty good.

A 24oz green bottle of Beck's...sigh...my very first beer.

You can readily appreciate my excitement, months later after having had principally northern european green-glass lager, when I discovered that eau de skunk was not a universal attribute of beer!

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:18:58 am »
Hmmm. Not too sure about the cans. I think I might wait to switch over until they make a Vortex can.  :D

I'm liking the cans. Had a tasty 21st Amendment Fireside Chat a couple weekends ago after a tux fitting in Philly.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:17:30 pm »
Cans make taking good beer on a camping trip easier.....when can I start getting my homebrew in them?
If you want beer for a camping trip, buy a case of plastic bottles. You don't have to use the whole case at once, maybe a sixer from each batch.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »
Not to open a can (yuk, yuk) of worms but do anything of the breweries canning beer state whether the linings of their cans contain that BPA stuff?  same question for the plastic bottles?
Joe

jaybeerman

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:43 pm »
Not to open a can (yuk, yuk) of worms but do anything of the breweries canning beer state whether the linings of their cans contain that BPA stuff?  same question for the plastic bottles?

I think the last thing I read was from one of the manufacturers of the cans - sure there's BPA but none that will make it into your system.  (not saying that I believe or disbelieve, just that I read)  That was a while back and I haven't heard anything on the subject since.

I would love to know how to do this, too, but I fear that the cost of canning is wayyyy beyond that of all but the deepest homebrew pockets - average microcanning rig is $10-50k.

Well that's not entirely out of the question  ;D till you realize that the minimum order for the cans is about $20k.  Now that's out of the question!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:33:35 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 12:14:47 pm »
If you want beer for a camping trip, buy a case of plastic bottles. You don't have to use the whole case at once, maybe a sixer from each batch.

That seems a whole lot easier than strapping a keg to my frame pack  :D

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:34:50 pm »
Even at a small brewery in Kearney, NE. Cheers!!! http://www.thunderheadbrewing.com/6packs.php 
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:46 pm »
Been enjoying SlyFox's Pikeland Pils in cans for a few months.  Nice beer.
Member #: 900000767

vorlaufthegreat

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 11:07:17 pm »
Fat tire is very bad in cans. I'm not the biggest fan of it period but man is it awful in a can. It's not even the same beer. Oskar Blues on the other hand has really nailed canning down. Every one of their beers is excellent. I've noticed most brewery's here in Colorado have at least 1 brew in a can. Like all have said before it's very enjoyable for camping and living up everything Colorado has to offer.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 10:52:01 am »
Canned brew makes sense.  Its great to see more breweries going in that direction. Sun King in Indy is canning and their beer is definitely worth drinking. 

I don't think that the issue mentioned above with Fat Tire is due to canning.  IMHO, Fat Tire is not all that great a beer but its sort of like SA Boston Lager in that its a middle of the road taste that the typical BMC drinker is willing to try more than once. It does pay the bills and that certainly allows New Belgian to do MUCH better brewing. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:20 am »
I don't think that the issue mentioned above with Fat Tire is due to canning.  IMHO, Fat Tire is not all that great a beer but its sort of like SA Boston Lager in that its a middle of the road taste that the typical BMC drinker is willing to try more than once. It does pay the bills and that certainly allows New Belgian to do MUCH better brewing. 

I think the problem is with canning. I have tasted bottled and canned versions side-by-side, and the canned versions were awful.

I have a friend who works at Sam Adams, and they're looking into canning. However, he specifically said that the quality issue that New Belgium was having was one of the things giving them doubts.

vorlaufthegreat

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 11:43:16 am »

I think the problem is with canning. I have tasted bottled and canned versions side-by-side, and the canned versions were awful.

I have a friend who works at Sam Adams, and they're looking into canning. However, he specifically said that the quality issue that New Belgium was having was one of the things giving them doubts.

I have also done a side by side taste. Bottles being sup par and the canned being awful. I'm glad other Co. craft brewery's haven't had this problem.

Offline aetoole

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 10:02:14 pm »
I've dumped a case of various 21st A cans down the drain (watermelon, B n B etc).  Never had a bad can o' Dale's Pale, Brewer's Art Resurrection, or Butternuts anything though... So might just be 21st A's supplier or the temp during shipment? So I'll try anything in cans but 21st A.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 06:35:02 am »
Brewer's Art cans their beers now?  Sweet.  I'll have to look for that next time I'm in Baltimore. 

Gotta love a place with a beer called "Ozzy" as the Belgian Golden Strong (go ahead, figure it out).  Too bad they replaced their old tap handle (the metal finger sign: \m/) with a pitchfork.  That always cracked me up.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong