Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?

Yes, it's a major part of what I pay my dues for.
177 (63.4%)
No, this forum more than replaces what TT provides.
85 (30.5%)
Pantless, not clueless.
12 (4.3%)
I'm not an AHA member.
5 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 276

Author Topic: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?  (Read 25209 times)

Offline j.ed

• 1st Kit
Re: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 08:18:52 am »
Really dislike the forum. I find the entire website difficult to navigate (It took 3 logins to get here).

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 09:32:46 am »
I really dislike bikes.  I fell off the first 5 times I tried to ride one.

Just messin' with ya!  Give the format a chance.  The RSS feed is especially nice.

Really dislike the forum. I find the entire website difficult to navigate (It took 3 logins to get here).

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 09:40:09 am »
I'm actually surprised at how close this poll is.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 09:40:52 am »
...  I would also like to point out, that while this poll may be interesting, just the fact that it appears in the Forum makes it extremely biased...

I thought of that before I started the poll, but I couldn't figure out how to put a similar poll on TT.  Anyway, this isn't California so the majority of the vote doesn't matter here,*  A significant showing should be enough.

(*meant to be humorous not political - please don't respond to this)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 09:42:06 am »
I really dislike bikes.  I fell off the first 5 times I tried to ride one.

Just messin' with ya!  Give the format a chance.  The RSS feed is especially nice.

Bwahaha! Hysterical.

The reason it is so close is because the TT people don;t want to lose TT and they are coming together - and I don't blame them. I'd do the same thing. Too bad none of them really are giving the forum a chance, though. I only see one post, then out, on most of them. :-[
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:47:26 am by majorvices »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:45 am »

Well the posting about the poll was in today's TT, so I'm sure there are a lot of people signing up just to vote to keep it.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 09:44:30 am »
...  I would also like to point out, that while this poll may be interesting, just the fact that it appears in the Forum makes it extremely biased...

I thought of that before I started the poll, but I couldn't figure out how to put a similar poll on TT.

Score 1 for the forum, IMO!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 09:47:57 am »

Well the posting about the poll was in today's TT, so I'm sure there are a lot of people signing up just to vote to keep it.
Then there are those of us who aren't voting because we using the forum now and are ambivalent about what happens to TT.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 09:50:06 am »

Then there are those of us who aren't voting because we using the forum now and are ambivalent about what happens to TT.

Hence the No Pants option :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 09:58:43 am »
Hence the No Pants option :)
Ok, no pants it is then. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »

Too bad none of them really are giving the forum a chance, though. I only see one post, then out, on most of them. :-[
[/quote]

Not to repeat on different threads, but...

There are significant differences in usage patterns between the forum and TT.  Thus, you don't have too many TT readers engaged in back and forth, real-time, responses on the forum.

I wouldn't say none of us are giving it a chance.  That's a gross generalization of the sort that helps polarize the conversation.

For those of you who don't/won't read TT, you might be surprised to know that a good deal of the hue and cry (though certainly not all of it) has been related to the fact (or the feeling) that the decision was made without input (or with minimal input) from the members. 

There are certainly those who have had a negative response to the forum, but on the whole I think people would have responded better had there been an open discussion in advance of a decision and the members had input.

As for me, I've already spent too much of my work day here and you're keeping me from the saabcentral forum!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 4himarks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 03:44:08 pm »
I voted to keep TT. I've used both, and while the forum has it's place, I feel the format has a tendency to "wander" and go off-topic too easily. There is also way too much "white space" and other extraneous real estate compared to the information density in TT.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 03:52:19 pm »
Do I detect a general current here? People who say they use both but prefer TT .... but who don't really seem to be usingt he forum at all. 4 posts?? You have looked at it once or twice ... maybe 4 times tops.  ;)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »
The gist of it I get, is that the "TT" people prefer textbook answers. No bs, no jokes, just the facts. I say that's what books are for.
I have an idea, what if the best answer from each thread could be plucked -  and the question and answer get put into a digest. Would that be TT-ish enough? Still need a volunteer or mod to flag the answers (or do a voting system); but the consolidation could probably be run as a nightly script - resulting in an email. And the pub gets no flags.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline danryankc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:06 pm »
New to the forums, so maybe I'll learn to enjoy them, but TT has been a major source of knowledge and enjoyment.  Even if I evolve into one of the insider-joking, opinion-spouting forum regulars, it will be the TT that brought me along.