Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB Honey Wheat beer tannic flavor  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Dkavadas

• 1st Kit
BIAB Honey Wheat beer tannic flavor
« on: August 26, 2018, 06:48:45 am »
Hello,

I was being a beer with a new BIAB setup. The beer came out alright, but after bottling and letting it carbonate the beer had a very strong tannic taste. After a month it disappeared, but I am trying to figure out where it came from to avoid it next time. I am new to BIAB and have heard of tannic extraction being affected by acidity of the mash and water volume. Could someone lend a hand?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BIAB Honey Wheat beer tannic flavor
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:07:09 pm »
Did you squeeze your bag at the end of the mash?  that could lead to some astringency in the finished product.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:49:22 pm »
Can you elaborate on the "tannic taste"? Tannins lend an astringent mouthfeel (fuzzy tongue and cheeks) but they have no flavor by themselves. And in my experience, astringency in beer doesn't go away unless you really, really age it, which I assume you didn't. If it's a flavor that disappeared after only a month, could it have been something else? If it was tannins, then it's just a pH issue in the mash. Keep the mash pH in the proper range (5.2ish-5.6ish). As long as it stays below 6.0, you can squeeze the bag all you want.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:20:14 pm by RC »

Offline WhiteHausBrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:58:29 am »
Yeah I wouldn't worry about squeezing the bag either. I BIAB and squeeze as much sweet wort out as I physically can and have never tasted anything I'd describe as tannic. Making sure your pH is in a good range 5.2-5.4 would be a good place to start but like RC mentioned this might not have anything to do with tannins as those can take months to a year to age out.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:57:14 pm »
I'm going to guess maybe an infected bottle? Hard to say.  Tannins won't just disappear though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton