Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newcastle Brown Ale  (Read 6593 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Newcastle Brown Ale
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:39:58 pm »
Anyone have a recipe? Recently rekindled a fondness for Newcastle.

TIA
euge
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Newcastle Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:23 am »
IIRC, it's brewed as 2 separate batches which are blended.  I think BYO had a recipe a while back, although I can't find it now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:16:43 am »
IIRC, it's brewed as 2 separate batches which are blended.  I think BYO had a recipe a while back, although I can't find it now.

Yes Denny you are correct once again.  ;)

According to Michael Jackson, Newcastle’s brewers blend two different beers to produce their brown ale. One portion is brewed to a very high gravity so that fermentation creates extremely estery (fruity) notes they cannot achieve at normal beer gravities. That beer is then blended with a low-gravity “amber” beer to produce their standard at an original gravity of 1.045.

Here's the article.

http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/339-brown-ale-style-of-the-month
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:38:06 am »
Decent article if a little dated. Looks like I will be buying my Newcastle in the future. I'm just not prepared at this time to take on blending. 

Thanks.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:46:27 am »
Here is a link to the brewing network "can you brew it" for a Northern English Brown Ale.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Northern-English-Brown-Ale-The-Jamil-Show-01-28-08

I know it isn't Newcastle but it's in the ballpark.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

Yes Denny you are correct once again.  ;)

According to Michael Jackson, Newcastle’s brewers blend two different beers to produce their brown ale. One portion is brewed to a very high gravity so that fermentation creates extremely estery (fruity) notes they cannot achieve at normal beer gravities. That beer is then blended with a low-gravity “amber” beer to produce their standard at an original gravity of 1.045.

Here's the article.

http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/339-brown-ale-style-of-the-month

Why, I think you may have just nudged me toward my next brew.   8)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
Downloading the mp3 now. Thanks.

I'll listen to it while brewing today. After all. I'm all about the Brown ale at this point. When I get my recipes nailed down and getting close with my latest I might try some blending.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:39 pm »
I might try some blending

Come, embrace the dark side, young Skywalker...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 01:26:01 pm »
For decades the British have blended their brown ales to achieve desired flavors that can't ordinarily be accomplished without blending.  Blending has been done throughout brewing history in Europe and other areas.  I am convinced by blending one can enhance flavors of older beers and mitigate green flavors in younger beers to  ultimately acheive the best of both worlds.

I recently made a bock and blended it with a pilsner just for haha's and was amazed at the outcome. Absolutely great flavors when blended together.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:59:37 pm »
Just blended...

Eleven day old Pale Ale and 6 week old Brown Ale 50/50. I can see that it's a marriage of sorts. Fruity young PA complements the intense dark Crystal and Chocolate grains of the BA. Tastes and smells pretty good . Not every blend will be optimal. There has to be an intent.

Hi my name is euge and I'm a blender...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:34 pm »

Hi my name is euge and I'm a blender...

Now that's too funny.  8)
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »
The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:16:53 am »

Gordon, I'm cracking up imagining you as Yoda!   ;D

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:27:01 am »

Gordon, I'm cracking up imagining you as Yoda!   ;D
Wouldn't he have said "With you is the force, young Skywalker, but Jedi you are not"?  ;)

I was thinking Obi Wan Kenobi, that's easier to picture for Gordon anyway. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:28:09 am »
Yeah, you're right!

www.dennybrew.com