Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Commercial Meads  (Read 6399 times)

Offline susanr

• Cellarman
Favorite Commercial Meads
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:29 pm »
Hi,  From another Mead post there was a statement "better than any commercial Mead I had".  This got me thinking - what is everyone's favorite commercial Mead?  By asking this I would rather people not trash those Meaderys that they don't care for but there are some great Commercial Meaderys out there and I am curious if I have missed some of them.  I continually find new Meaderys starting up that I didn't know about.

Some of my favorites are:

Redstone (Colorado) - in particular the Vanilla Cinnamon
White Winter (Wisconsin) - Almost all of them - but have to say I am really partial to the Port Mead
B Nektor (Michigan) - have only had a few but they had a great Ginger mead
Mountain Meadows (California) - phenomenal Traditional - Honeymoon Nector

There are a many other Meaderys so I am curious to see what others like.

Cheers,
Susan
Cheers,
Susan

Homebrewing is not my hobby - it is my lifestyle.

BJCP Assistant Exam Director
BJCP Grand Master Judge
former AHA Governing Committee
Prairie Homebrewing Companions
Beer and Meadmaker - 15 years

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Favorite Commercial Meads
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:24:14 pm »
The B Nector Heart of Darkness Ken Schramm signature series was one that came to mind.  The club bought a bottle so that everyone could have a very small taste. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:30:16 pm »
Not much available for mead here in NH.  Michael Fairbrother has just started his new business, Moonlight Meadery, and is getting a great response for what I can see.  I just attended a tasting last week and his offerings were incredible, including one that tasted like an atomic fireball.   And Coffee in Bed is outstanding!!

Another meadery in NH made an awesome Vanilla Metheglin, but I was told they are shutting down the business :(

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:14:27 pm »
I really like Sky River semi-sweet mead.  Very nice honey flavor, but it's nothing fancy.

There's a Polish (?) mead that comes in a bottle in a basket, kind of like a chianti bottle.  That is fantastic, but the name is escaping me right now.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »
A great topic!

The comparison in the other post was my mead against Pennsylvania's Mount Hope Estate & Winery's Mead's.

I'd be interested in how their products are considered by other mead-makers/drinkers.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »
I'm going to agree with hops... that Schramm mead pretty much kicks the teeth out of anything else I've tried.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »
It's not commercial, but I had one that Kris England made that was passed out at NHC in MN.  Fantastic stuff!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline susanr

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
A great topic!

The comparison in the other post was my mead against Pennsylvania's Mount Hope Estate & Winery's Mead's.

I'd be interested in how their products are considered by other mead-makers/drinkers.

:(

Hi,  Had not heard of Mount Hope Estate and Winery - they have a lot of Wines and it looks like most of their Meads are Blends of their wine and Mead (which is fine with me) - but unfortunately I went to their website and tried to put in an order only to find out at the last page of checkout that they can't ship out of state and that I would have to order at least 6 bottles even if I lived in PA. :(
Cheers,
Susan

Homebrewing is not my hobby - it is my lifestyle.

BJCP Assistant Exam Director
BJCP Grand Master Judge
former AHA Governing Committee
Prairie Homebrewing Companions
Beer and Meadmaker - 15 years

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:01:14 pm »
The Brotherhood WInery in Washingtonville, NY makes a couple different meads...one is sold under the name "Carroll's" and is an 8%(or thereabouts) straight mead (on the sweet side);    the other is their take on Tej, the Ethiopian honey wine (it has a small dose of hops in it, apparently).  Their "Sheba" brand of tej clocks in at a typical (for wine) 12%abv and it  has found its way into many of the Ethiopian restaurants in NY and NJ.

I'm a bit spoiled by the home made stuff (my favorite is sack mead, which I usually don't touch until it's between 5-10 years old) but the Sheba tej is pretty nice both before and after a meal of Ethiopian fare.
At around $10 a bottle in the stores for the Carroll's and around $11 for the Sheba, , neither one is a bad deal.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:22:18 am »
This thread has me thirsty for mead! 

I've actually had more disappointments from commercial meads than otherwise.  Most imported ones I've tried are either very sweet or somewhat funky (Tower of London mead!).  But after reading about tej and Schramm's Heart of Darkness mead, I think some gesho sticks and blackcurrant juice needs to be added to my shopping list soon!

Offline ullarsskald1989

• Cellarman
  • Brewing since 1974, brewing well since 1975
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:29 am »
The "Camelot" mead from Oliver Vineyards in Indiana is a pleasant "table-wine" mead.  It is between dry and semi-sweet to my tastebuds.

I usually drink my home brewed, though.
Today is a good day; to learn, to do, to love, to be...

(Ale - 1974, Wine - 1975, Mead - 1983)

Steven P Robinson, AHA Member #175298

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:25 am »
I like White Winter Blueberry melomel and Honeyrun Blackberry melomel.  Redstone can be hit or miss with me; they have three product lines based on strength. I think the middle ones are best.  The vanilla/cinnamon one was good, as was (surprisingly) the juniper one.

If you compare the BJCP guidelines for mead in 2004 and 2008, look at the differences in commercial examples.  Anything added in between is likely something that I tried and really liked.  I remember adding several examples after going to an International Mead Festival in Denver and trying several outstanding meads.  It seemed like a few meaderies were consistently good, so if one of their meads was killer then they all were at least very good.  The opposite was also true.  Duds ran in packs.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 10:09:49 am »
I recently had a chance to try some cysers from AEppelTreow in Wisconsin.  I'm partial to dry over sweet and they had one that was very enjoyable.

I didn't check if they had any straight meads at the tasting though.

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »
Definitely Redstones Blackberry Nectar.  They should be careful with that stuff.  That could easily get itself declared as being a date rape drug.  :)

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
The "Camelot" mead from Oliver Vineyards in Indiana is a pleasant "table-wine" mead.  It is between dry and semi-sweet to my tastebuds.

I usually drink my home brewed, though.

The Oliver meads were the first I ever had, wayyy back in the mid 70's.  I think that just dated me as an old timer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!