Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hydra wort chillers  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Hydra wort chillers
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:56:01 am »
The hydra wort chiller is advertised as the fastest cooling copper immersion chiller on the market.

https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra

Is it worth the extra money as compared to standard copper immersion chillers?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Hydra wort chillers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:57:25 am »
Yes! I have one and love it. It can get your wort down to temp in about 10 minutes.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 07:24:14 am »
+1 on that.  I still use my old SS chiller in a pot filled with ice, running the cooling water through it ahead of the hydra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:38:09 am »
Absolutely.  As fast if not faster than plate or CFC I've used and a lot less maintenance
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:27:10 am »
Its way better than a standard chiller - well worth the price. Heavy duty and fast chilling. I chilled my last 5.5 gallon batch to water source temp. in 5 minutes. The old standard chiller would have taken 20-30 minutes.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:08:34 am »
I really wish they had a stainless steel option.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04:18 pm »
 Absolutely worth it.   I upgraded after I read Denny talk about it on some website.   I can get to around 7° above ground water in Under 10 minutes.   The key is to have a normal size garden hose going to and from it and turning on the water full blast.   If it’s winter, nothing additional is needed.  If it’s summer or you have hot ground water like I do here in Southern California that will get you to 75 or 80°.   Then to get to pitching temperature or lager temperature, I bought a 1/4 hp submersible pump.   I put 12 pounds of ice in 10 gallons of water and run that quickly through the chiller at the very end and it will drop it to pitching temperature very easily.   Whole chilling process in about 10 minutes.  ( helps a great deal if you can whirlpool while chilling of course).  No more double chiller set up like I used to.  Very solid and well made too.

Great buy
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline hawkbox

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 10:49:10 am »
I take less than 1/3 as long with the Hydra as I did with my old 25' SS immersion chiller.  It's pretty slick, though it plugs up like a bastard when using whole cone hops.  I'm still getting the damned thigns out of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 11:58:47 am »
I take less than 1/3 as long with the Hydra as I did with my old 25' SS immersion chiller.  It's pretty slick, though it plugs up like a bastard when using whole cone hops.  I'm still getting the damned thigns out of it.

What plugs?  The coils?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »
Are you pushing wort or water through the inside of the Hydra?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 03:26:29 pm »

Sounds like wort, huh?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 06:42:35 pm »

Sounds like wort, huh?
I’ve always put the chiller in the kettle with the wort and run ground water through the chiller. Seems much easier to sanitize up front and clean after.

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 06:51:41 pm »

Sounds like wort, huh?
I’ve always put the chiller in the kettle with the wort and run ground water through the chiller. Seems much easier to sanitize up front and clean after.
Aw,  you're probably one of those boring guys who put their underwear and socks on first and then their pants and shoes.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »

Sounds like wort, huh?
Aw,  you're probably one of those boring guys who put their underwear and socks on first and then their pants and shoes.
Most of the time anyway.

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 03:54:38 pm »
The $150 price tag has me stuck though. At that point I could get into a counterflow chiller. I don't have one thought, just an IC, so I'm guessing the hydra is easier to clean and you only have one fluid to circulate though.