Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Instant Pot  (Read 2509 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Instant Pot
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:11:31 pm »
I now have a 6 quart Instant Pot.  Does anyone have any good recipes?

Last night, I used it to make quinoa which came out near perfectly. 

I also tried the lemon pea and asparagus recipe from the book.  The peas were ok, but the asparagus was pretty mushy.  I don't know that steaming veggies is really a good idea; I much prefer sauteing or roasting.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Instant Pot
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:02:24 pm »
It excels at black beans.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:28:21 pm »
My favorite is pork tenderloin cutlets with Frontera Carnitas Sauce (https://www.target.com/p/frontera-garlicky-carnitas-slow-cook-sauce-8-oz/-/A-14770857). I brown the meat (cube 4-5# tenderloin) in the cooker then add the sauce, pressure cook for 90 minutes, then let it naturally release the pressure. I mix with rice, beans, salsa, and cheese for amazing burrito bowls. You can substitute a Boston Butt here and substitute other sauces.

I have also made chicken (cut 4-5# of boneless breast). Use same sauce or substitute other spices. These cook much faster but I like the pork better. I like to cook these big batches and then eat them all week.

I made my Thanksgiving Turkey (breast only) in the Instant Pot. I cooked it for 25 minutes then browned each side for 5 minutes in oven on broil setting. It was delicious. Very juicy.

I have also made delicious pinto beans.

I am kind of addicted to the Instant Pot.

I have a batch of Pork Tenderloin going right now. This time I am using leftover Cajun Injector Creole Butter seasoning in place of the Frontera kit above.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »
I bought one. I have not yet taken it out of the box other than to inspect it for damage.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:09 am »
I made brown rice in it last night, and it came out perfectly al dente.  That's going to be useful.

I have also made chicken (cut 4-5# of boneless breast). Use same sauce or substitute other spices. These cook much faster but I like the pork better. I like to cook these big batches and then eat them all week.

Approximately how long does it take to cook the chicken and do you do it at high or low pressure?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:35:24 am »
I made brown rice in it last night, and it came out perfectly al dente.  That's going to be useful.

Approximately how long does it take to cook the chicken and do you do it at high or low pressure?

I cook chicken breast from frozen in about 20-25 min. on high pressure

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:45:29 am »

That sounds right. Every meat is different. Chicken is quite fast. I want to say I thawed chicken is 8 minutes on high pressure. Pork takes 20 minutes per pound.  The times are the time at high pressure. It takes a few minutes to warm up and build up pressure and it takes 10-20 minutes for pressure to naturally release if you don’t manually release. That is never a problem for me because I leave it in the pot while cooking sides.

By the way, the meat is always a bit better a day later. I usually make enough for several meals throughout the week. I find the meat is a bit more tender on day two (at least that’s true for pork).

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 07:44:11 pm »

That sounds right. Every meat is different. Chicken is quite fast. I want to say I thawed chicken is 8 minutes on high pressure. Pork takes 20 minutes per pound.  The times are the time at high pressure. It takes a few minutes to warm up and build up pressure and it takes 10-20 minutes for pressure to naturally release if you don’t manually release. That is never a problem for me because I leave it in the pot while cooking sides.

By the way, the meat is always a bit better a day later. I usually make enough for several meals throughout the week. I find the meat is a bit more tender on day two (at least that’s true for pork).
I found this guide on the Instant Pot website for pressure cook times for different foods.

https://instantpot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/12PSI-EPC-Cooking-Time-Tables-English.pdf

narvin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 11:36:44 pm »
It's great for things like Brown rice, lentils, and beans.  It also does a really serviceable pork shoulder in an hour.

This has become a go-to side dish:

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/instantpot-brown-rice-pilaf/

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 12:01:25 pm »
I cooked lentils in it last night: pressure cook on high for 20 minutes with quick release.  They're very good but just a little overcooked.   Next time, I'm going to try 15 minutes instead.

If I have time on Sunday, I might try making yogurt.  It looked pretty simple on youtube.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:34 am »
I cooked lentils in it last night: pressure cook on high for 20 minutes with quick release.  They're very good but just a little overcooked.   Next time, I'm going to try 15 minutes instead.

If I have time on Sunday, I might try making yogurt.  It looked pretty simple on youtube.

It's stupidly easy, we mostly use our instant pot for making yogurt honestly.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:09 am »

It's stupidly easy, we mostly use our instant pot for making yogurt honestly.

Yep, my wife makes yogurt weekly.

www.dennybrew.com