Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops.... a reward, not a challenge  (Read 2642 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Hops.... a reward, not a challenge
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:23 am »
fell down another internet rabbit hole, this time reading some beer blogs. found the following quote in a blog about neipa's....

"Oregon’s Willamette Week released results of an IPA taste test featuring 73 India Pale Ales from within the city limits of Portland. Culture editor Martin Cizmar declared "The hop war is over, and the bitter side lost. The five best IPAs in the city come from brand-new breweries, and most of those have been influenced by Heady Topper, Julius, and Sculpin, beers that present hops as a reward rather than a challenge.”

I've been a hop head for lo these many years, and I'm certainly up to the challenge presented by extremely hopped bitterness, but I've found myself generally going for a saison, a sour, or one of the Belgians rather than an IPA. That is, until recently.  I've been truly enjoying the pleasures of juicy, hazy hop flavors & aromas of the new neipa's (not to mention some of the great can graphics). Ya gotta love the hoppy rewards!
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hops.... a reward, not a challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:01:21 pm »
When you find an article by Martin Cizmar, burn it before you get infected with his stupidity.  Glad you found something you like, Mark.  I have yet to find a NEIPA where I wasn't put off by the mouthfeel and astringency.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:06:16 pm »
When you find an article by Martin Cizmar, burn it before you get infected with his stupidity.

:o

RDWHAHB  :P :P ;D

(FYI  I strongly dislike NEIPA as well)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »
When you find an article by Martin Cizmar, burn it before you get infected with his stupidity.

:o

RDWHAHB  :P :P ;D

(FYI  I strongly dislike NEIPA as well)

You must not know him!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »
When you find an article by Martin Cizmar, burn it before you get infected with his stupidity.  Glad you found something you like, Mark.  I have yet to find a NEIPA where I wasn't put off by the mouthfeel and astringency.

Preach!

I am SOO tired of hazy IPA’s.  Though I do enjoy IPA’s of varying bitterness levels.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:32 pm »
I am not a fan of most IPA’s, but I appreciate the style and respect those who prefer it, including the Hazies, as they seem now to be called by some.

I agree that the excessive bitterness or hugely late hopped beers seems to be a challenge as much as or more so  than as a reward for achieving an “edge of the envelope”, yet drinkable style, not terribly different than hotter and hotter peppers pushing the Scovill index for chicken wing challenges.

Give me “Beer tasting beer” (a phrase used by a friend to distinguish the lighter lagers and ales from the bigger beers and hop monsters) anyday as far as a preference. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 01:21:46 pm »

Preach!

I am SOO tired of hazy IPA’s.  Though I do enjoy IPA’s of varying bitterness levels.

I'm not necessarily talking about his opinion of NEIPA....pretty much anything he writes is trash.  He was run out of Portland and is now bothering people in the LA area.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »
Denny, I'm not familiar with his writing but I did really like his turn of phrase about reward, not challenge. I came across it in a beer blog that referenced his piece with the quote.

Anyway, I knew you'd disagree (and almost put that in a shout-out to you in my original post), but this is one where we'll just have to agree to disagree. Time will tell whether the style has legs or if it'll fade away as did black IPA. Don't know how things are out in Cascadia, but I rarely see black ipa on tap anymore, and also rarely entered in home-brew comps. But for now, I really like them, especially as a showcase for the newer hop styles (both from the NW and Pacific).
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:50:16 pm »
Denny, I'm not familiar with his writing but I did really like his turn of phrase about reward, not challenge. I came across it in a beer blog that referenced his piece with the quote.

Anyway, I knew you'd disagree (and almost put that in a shout-out to you in my original post), but this is one where we'll just have to agree to disagree. Time will tell whether the style has legs or if it'll fade away as did black IPA. Don't know how things are out in Cascadia, but I rarely see black ipa on tap anymore, and also rarely entered in home-brew comps. But for now, I really like them, especially as a showcase for the newer hop styles (both from the NW and Pacific).

Black IPA is extremely rare here any more.  Almost non existent.  Like I said, I'm happy you found a beer style you like.  Just because I don't care for them doesn't mean that anybody else shouldn't like them.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 05:52:21 pm »
I'm OK with drinking NEIPAs but I find that I actually miss the bitterness.

Overall they seem like an incredibly inefficient use of hops. I brewed one on request that had $30 of hops in a 5 gallon batch! It tasted good, but if it hadn't been a birthday gift I wouldn't have made it.

Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »
I took a pilgrimage to The Alchemist last summer.  I wasn't impressed.  Too effing bitter.  I don't need to drink liquid hop pellets.  I want an IPA that is enjoyable, not a throat punch.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 07:26:29 pm »
I took a pilgrimage to The Alchemist last summer.  I wasn't impressed.  Too effing bitter.  I don't need to drink liquid hop pellets.  I want an IPA that is enjoyable, not a throat punch.

Throat punch is an amazing name for an IPA. Dibs.

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 07:32:56 pm »

Throat punch is an amazing name for an IPA. Dibs.
ROFL
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 07:30:59 am »
I just won a silver medal with a Black IPA a couple weeks ago.  ;D   I usually make one in the fall so the style is not totally dead yet!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 08:47:47 am »
I just won a silver medal with a Black IPA a couple weeks ago.  ;D   I usually make one in the fall so the style is not totally dead yet!

Definitely not dead, but neither is it ubiquitous like it used to be.

www.dennybrew.com