Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overheated IPA?  (Read 863 times)

Offline jovandf

• 1st Kit
Overheated IPA?
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:33:35 am »
First and foremost hello to all. This is my first post here although ive been lingering on this forum for a while. I came accross a concern here and was hoping for some reassurance.

So my wife bought me a temperature controller for my brewing. Its basically a heat pad with a thermostat and a probe. I just got done making a citra IPA and set it up to maintain 70 degrees. We went out for dinner and came back and the temp is reading 89 degrees. The beer sat for about 5-6 hours although I doubt it was at 89 for that long. The bucket lid was bulging and the airlock was wistling. What are the odds that I killed all the yeast. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Overheated IPA?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:12:50 am »
Yeast love those higher temperatures. You will not love the beer, in my opinion. At those temps there will be more esters, and worse Fusels.

Taste the beer when done. If you like it, ok, procede. If it is too esters and smells of alcohol and gives you a headache, it might need to kiss the drain.

You will like the temperature controller in future batches, as controlling the temp is one of the big knobs to turn on brewing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jovandf

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:26:42 am »
Yeast love those higher temperatures. You will not love the beer, in my opinion. At those temps there will be more esters, and worse Fusels.

Taste the beer when done. If you like it, ok, procede. If it is too esters and smells of alcohol and gives you a headache, it might need to kiss the drain.

You will like the temperature controller in future batches, as controlling the temp is one of the big knobs to turn on brewing.
I'm going to finish it and bottle it and see how it goes. I changed the airlock and the other one seems to be venting alot better. I don't know why but the other one wasn't letting pressure out. I'm guessing it was at that temp maybe 3 hours max. I'm hoping it didn't affect the beer too much. This is my first IPA and it has some high expectations going into after tasting my last couple beers. If im being completely honest I'm not really an IPA guru so I'm just curious how much I'll be able to taste the "off" flavors as a novice.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:28:45 am »
Never give up on a beer, until you are convinced it isn't getting better.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!