Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Which rowing machine?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline rixxon

• 1st Kit
Which rowing machine?
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:40:49 am »
My subscription to the gym is about to expire, and since I've only been very rare lately, I'm thinking of buying something for home.
I already have a bicycle ergometer and a treadmill is in our apartment a no go because the neighbors are  already complaining  if we walk a bit rudely through the apartment :S
Since my arms are rather neglected I  was thinking to buy a rowing machine. That's what I always liked riding in the gym and I think that the whole body is trained with this machine.
Does anyone have a tip for a good device that does not cost too much?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:53:31 am by duncan »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Which rowing machine?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:01:40 pm »
Rowing machines aren't going to build your arms. They will help tone. You would be better off getting some free weights if that is what you are aiming for. Even if you only got a set of dumb bells like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B001ARYU58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547931483&sr=8-2&keywords=bowflex+selecttech+552+dumbbells

I have a pair anbd they are awesome. BTW: The best exercises to do for growing your biceps are chin ups (cheap bar in your door way) and dips for triceps (which you can rig up with chairs in your living room for free.) Chin ups also work your back and abs. Dips also train your shoulders. Those two exercises pretty much give you a total upper body work out!

Just my .02. I've strength trained for 30+ years and at almost 50 I can attest it has done me right as far as fitness goes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:03:24 pm by majorvices »

Offline nikollas

• 1st Kit
Re: Which rowing machine?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:35:26 am »
Hi
I have one from Waterrower Ive  only rented it for now. But unfortunately it is anything but cheap, unless you get a rental device that is already several years old (but overhauled)...
The device has the advantage that it takes up little space, because you can put it upright after use and roll it into a corner room. To learn the technique, there are some good videos, also on the homepage of the company are some tips for complementary strengthening exercises... If you enjoy playing games, you can also connect the device to the internet and virtually row against other people - I have not tried it yet, but I will because  I also enjoy the rowing a lot.
You can find here some good models: https://home2outdoor.com/best-rowing-machine/. When I looked around for some, the site was my starting point.