Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can a beer be too bitter or too hoppy?  (Read 636 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Can a beer be too bitter or too hoppy?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 08:47:28 am »
Sounds like a good plan for your carbonation.

With 7 gallons instead of 5 gallons, your IBUs will be closer to about 60 if you use Centennial for bittering, or 72 IBUs if you use Simcoe.  This is still quite bitter, and more bitter than your goal if you like Sierra Nevada and Founders All Day IPA, but closer.  If you reduce the bittering hops by 25-35%, you’ll get the bittering just about perfect.
Been thinking about 1.5% of the LME's mass to bitter, instead of 2%. Will look at what other bittering hops I have on-hand and find one a little more gentle than Centennial. Simcoe is out, based upon the information you have so graciously provided. I have Magnum (12.1%), Amarillo (9.6%) and Chinook (11.2%). The Amarillo is lookin' kinda good when compared to the Centennial...

1.5% of 4037 grams is 60.5 grams of Amarillo. About how high will my IBU be with using that much? Flavoring and aroma will remain unchanged.

It will still be about 60 IBUs with that much Amarillo.  Sorry, after double checking, I noticed I was a little bit off in my math the first time, IBUs with Centennial would most likely be a little higher than I said before, closer to 66 or 67.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2024, 04:18:04 pm »
IMO, and this is only my opinion, I believe we become desensitized to the bitterness overtime and need more. I have zero studies to cite, no proof other than personal experience. Reminds me of 10th grade biology class. Walk in the classroom and just about floored by the smell of formaldehyde. After a while the formaldehyde is barely noticeable.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2024, 08:19:48 pm »
... we become desensitized to the bitterness overtime and need more.

I can't dig up the reference right now, but I've read in more than one place that humans generally become less sensitive to bitterness in particular as we age. That's why most kids don't like coffee and some of the more bitter vegetables — but old people do.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2024, 01:30:50 am »

1.5% of 4037 grams is 60.5 grams of Amarillo. About how high will my IBU be with using that much? Flavoring and aroma will remain unchanged.

It will still be about 60 IBUs with that much Amarillo.

I may have to go to the wildest of extremes and cut the Amarillo back to forty-some grams. No more than 50 grams, which is 1.24 percent of 4037 grams.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2024, 06:54:19 am »
Too bitter or hoppy for what? Those are subjective measures, so it's like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

I agree with Denny. But the additional question is, for whom are you brewing the beer?

Is it for competition, for your own consumption, to earn respect at your local homebrew club, as a gift to commemorate a special event for a friend whose taste you're trying to match, or for some other reason?

Each of these situations may require different answers regarding bitterness levels.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2024, 09:21:36 pm »

I agree with Denny. But the additional question is, for whom are you brewing the beer?

Is it for competition, for your own consumption, to earn respect at your local homebrew club, as a gift to commemorate a special event for a friend whose taste you're trying to match, or for some other reason?
The beer is being brewed for my personal consumption-- essentially all of it. I've been asked by a few of my associates for a sample bottle or two. I've found the most pleasure and satisfaction in malty beers with IBU ratings of 50-some all the way up to 90. From that range I'd opine that 60-some would be a good rating. No fruitiness, tropical or mango flavorings, please. I had a six-pack of Juice Force IPA sold by the smiling skull with a gold tooth, and I did not like it. I do like his VooDoo Ranger Imperial IPA at 70 IBU. I like Nierra Sevada Pale Ale and their Torpedo Extra IPA, the latter weighing-in at 65 IBU.