Author Topic: How old can a kit be (or how old before you say, nope, not going to brew that..)  (Read 167 times)

Offline homebrewervb

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Hello all,

Been off the brew kettle for about a year and going through my brew closet I found a bag of grains and extract I purchased a year ago, of course, digging through he fridge I found the yeast and hops behind the arm and hammer.

Is that too old to try?  Is the yeast dead?

I put the grains under a vacuum when I stowed it and it is still under a slight vacuum...

What do you think?  (beside, dummy, why didn't you brew it!!) New, job...no free time..

Thanks,
Eric
Eric
Virginia Beach VA

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
If I were short on time, I'd get some fresh stuff, and brew a good batch. Once you get some in the pipeline, you could try to brew the old stuff, but ask yourself if it's worth spending your effort for something that may not be optimal.

Offline trummel2

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile

Oh man. Forgotten beer kit  :-[
Never had that problem.
I say do not brew it.  It sounds like disappointment waiting to happen.
Or, you can use it only for experimenting purposes.  Season it with something cheap as not to waste hops like dandelions for bitterness just to see what happens and what it tastes like.  I'd guess under attenuated and terrible.
When you feel like making something worthwhile, plan it out and buy/use fresh ingredients.

-Best of luck

Offline piratefan

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
A buddy of mine brewed something recently from old ingredients I had - some 6 month old LME, >1year old DME, some old coriander, etc. He used new yeast and new hops and it was okay. Not sure what the style was, but it was definitely beer. I am quite sure it wouldn't have won any awards - even for creativity. But it was drinkable in small amounts.