Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overthinking enzymes and I need brewing scientist  (Read 802 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Overthinking enzymes and I need brewing scientist
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:33 pm »
I have been sifting through the literature for years and have found numerous papers that say Ca ion activates alpha amylase and beta amylase.  Then I have found papers that discuss chloride ion as an activator of alpha amylase and some that claim it inhibits beta amylase.  Then I look and find that salivary alpha amylase is different than pacreatic, fungal and barley amylase. 

I know it probably doesn't matter but I add my calcium chloride to the boil and not the mash because I swear that chloride ion may be inhibiting enzyme activity, but I add gypsum to the mash because calcium ion is activating amylase activity.

I also know that none of this matters because my beer was great before I cared but i just want to know. Wtf is up calcium ion and chloride ion?  Does it affect alpha and beta amylase differently?  And does a giant mash tun at a commercial brewery affect amylase activity because of the higher pressures at the bottom of a supersized mash tun?

I feel so much better just getting that out.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: Overthinking enzymes and I need brewing scientist
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:12:03 pm »
i am not 100% sure but im pretty certain sulfates and chloride do not affect enzymes in the mash, i could be wrong but i think ph,calcium, mg, temperature are the biggest players but again i am not 100% sure, i always assumed sulfates and chloride are your flavor ions, your seasoning, maybe an actual scientist will chime in cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle