Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Salt Additions  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Buddylee000

• 1st Kit
Salt Additions
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:05 pm »
I know that this topic has a lot of information posted on it but there is one question out there that I cant really find an answer for. When shooting for a certain concentration in a water profile is it with the total water used or the final volume of beer?  For example, if I was looking to have 50ppm calcium for yeast health and I add the proper amount of calcium chloride in ten gallons of water won't I end up with a higher concentration in the end since now I have boiled off 5 gallons of water to achieve 5 gallons of wort?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Salt Additions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
AFAIK the concentrations always refer to the water.  There are so many other factors affecting what's in the finished beer.  Concentration by boiling, yes.  But also mineral contributions from malt, consumption and precipitation of minerals during mashing, boiling, and fermentation,  and so on.  If someone says water should have so much of a mineral for some purpose, assume it just means the water. 

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 02:53:20 pm »
I know that this topic has a lot of information posted on it but there is one question out there that I cant really find an answer for. When shooting for a certain concentration in a water profile is it with the total water used or the final volume of beer?  For example, if I was looking to have 50ppm calcium for yeast health and I add the proper amount of calcium chloride in ten gallons of water won't I end up with a higher concentration in the end since now I have boiled off 5 gallons of water to achieve 5 gallons of wort?

According to Martin Brungard, 25 ppm of CA is all that's really needed.  AFAIK, Ca doesn't necessarily promote yeast health, it promotes flocculation.  The amounts are for the volume of water you use.  Martin, if I'm putting words in your mouth, please correct me!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Buddylee000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:03:05 pm »
So if my sparge water ph is low enough I could just treat my mash as if 10 gallons of water is going to go through it?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »
As long as the boil off evaporation isn’t excessive, planning your salt additions on the total water volume used is appropriate. If your practice is to boil off a lot of volume, then you may need to dial back the additions based on the final volume.

As Denny pointed out, brewing water doesn’t HAVE to contain a lot of calcium. That’s because malt delivers all the calcium that yeast need for their metabolism. I haven’t recommended a minimum of 25 ppm, since there isn’t a real need. But I have recommended a 40 ppm minimum in the mashing water. I often add all my batch’s calcium to the mashing water to get it to 40 ppm and then I let the straight RO sparging water dilute that down in the final wort.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Buddylee000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 08:19:22 am »
I would say that in most 5 gallon batches about 4 gallons of sparge water is used, so if I'm treating 9 gallons of water and then boiling down to 5 gallons aren't my concentrations going to be higher. Maybe calcium was a bad example. What about ones that effect flavor like chlorides and sulfates? Doesn't the taste of beer come from the final product concentrations?