Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SRM  (Read 2277 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: SRM
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 07:33:29 am »
I remember an article years back in BYO where Briess had made beers or wort with the same SRM but different hues.

Did a search, found this paper from Breiss. One picture that illustrates the difference. Haven't read it yet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://community.mbaa.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx%3FDocumentFileKey%3D3bd5c1b3-1c56-4684-89b6-73bd2a10d9cf%26forceDialog%3D1&ved=2ahUKEwji_9uW8KngAhUE8YMKHQBpBZIQFjAFegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw24-bhfHNNn587Jkq8bxi55&cshid=1549551354031

This (also from Briess)
http://blog.brewingwithbriess.com/defining-wort-colors-red-malts-vs-black-malts/

may also be interesting.  May be similar to the paper your link references (I haven't read it yet) and/or similar to the BYO article (which I'm not aware of).
That is similar to what I remember in BYO. The link I referenced was a MBAA paper, so more technical.

Thanks.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:10:30 am »
Briess may not be the go-to malt for my beer but they sure have taught me a lot about malt flavor and now color in articles like these and presentations like those given at NHC.

Ditto!  I don't love their malt, regardless of the fact that they're located only 1 hour away from here... but they sure are sharp folks anyway.  When my nuclear job goes kaput a few years from now, I'm seriously considering applying for a job there.  Win-win.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 01:22:52 pm »
I vaguely remember going to a seminar at NHC on this subject by a speaker from Briess.  As I recall it was at least ten minutes of excellent information crammed into an hour session.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 01:57:22 pm »
I vaguely remember going to a seminar at NHC on this subject by a speaker from Briess.  As I recall it was at least ten minutes of excellent information crammed into an hour session.

You recall correctly.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell