Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: temp swings  (Read 1518 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
temp swings
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:05:08 pm »
We all know fermentation temp is important, and in a perfect world it would be best to have a stable temp with no swings, but realistically would a 2 degree swing between 64 and 66F cause problems? thank you
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Jeff Zesch

• 1st Kit
Re: temp swings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 12:34:56 am »
nope

Online KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:43:29 am »
Cause problems?  No.  However, if you’re trying to maintain consistency in your brewing, than you will want to recreate that two degree differential with each batch.  That said, if the fermentation temp bumped up or down two degrees for a short time period — a couple hours — then went back to the previous temperature, no problem; I don’t believe you would ever notice.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:51:53 am »
My fridge controller is set to +/-2*F. Well within expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:49 am »
We all know fermentation temp is important, and in a perfect world it would be best to have a stable temp with no swings, but realistically would a 2 degree swing between 64 and 66F cause problems? thank you

A swing of 5 F wouldn't cause problems as long as it didn't go too high
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:00 am »
cool, if i set my fridge to 65 for example with a 1 degree differential, when the temps get to 66 the fridge kicks on but because of the thermal mass of the beer the ambient temp gets way cooler and even when the fridge kicks off at 65 it continues to drop to 64-63 then rises back up to 65, i use a thermowell so for the most part my fridge does not cycle on very often cause the beer insulates the probe, but i was just curious about this my last 2 batches where not the best so i am trying to pay attention to all the variables even if it means getting a little OCD
Matty

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:48 am »
You’ve described a fairly normal fermentation. I think your problem may be elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:12 am »
FWIW the procedure I use, recommended by the manufacturers of most temperature control devices, is to place the probe in the air in the chamber rather than in a thermowell or otherwise monitoring liquid temperature.   Because of the thermal mass of the beer you mention, as the air swings 2 degrees Fahrenheit either side of the set temperature, the liquid temperature will remain rock steady.  This is easier on both the beer and the compressor in your fridge.   You just need to separately monitor the liquid temperature and adjust your set temperature for the differential between ambient and beer, which will change with the level of fermentation activity (fermentation being an exothermic process.)  Or just pick an ambient temperature that will ensure your beer is within an acceptable temperature range throughout fermentation,  which is what I have learned to relax and do rather than being overly OCD.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:02 pm »
FWIW the procedure I use, recommended by the manufacturers of most temperature control devices, is to place the probe in the air in the chamber rather than in a thermowell or otherwise monitoring liquid temperature.   Because of the thermal mass of the beer you mention, as the air swings 2 degrees Fahrenheit either side of the set temperature, the liquid temperature will remain rock steady.  This is easier on both the beer and the compressor in your fridge.   You just need to separately monitor the liquid temperature and adjust your set temperature for the differential between ambient and beer, which will change with the level of fermentation activity (fermentation being an exothermic process.)  Or just pick an ambient temperature that will ensure your beer is within an acceptable temperature range throughout fermentation,  which is what I have learned to relax and do rather than being overly OCD.

I attach the probe to the fermenter becasue that's the temp I want to know.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:26:30 pm »

I do the same.  I bought one of those thermo wells and silicone bung and it didn't perform well and it would not stay in place.  It's now in the local landfill.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 12:49:27 pm »

I do the same.  I bought one of those thermo wells and silicone bung and it didn't perform well and it would not stay in place.  It's now in the local landfill.

i had the same problem with the silicone bung one, now i use a carboy cap with a thermowell, alot easier then the bung i find, i also have a roll of parafilm and i tend to seal up the carboy cap with it, i just go overboard sometimes but i sleep well
Matty

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 12:59:32 pm »
I know we've been here before, Denny. I tried the probe in a thermowell one time, at your recommendation, and the result was big swings in the beer temperature, and either cooling or heating running almost nonstop.   Because of the much greater thermal mass of the beer compared to the air, by the time the controller registers that set temperature has been achieved, ambient has gone far beyond it in whichever direction; then the beer coasts in that direction,  and the over correction cycle starts in the other direction....  My experience aligns with the theory of the manufacturers, and the experience of many other brewers.  There is clearly, however, a set of brewers who get good results from probing the beer instead of the air, like Denny.  So whatever works for you.  But if one method doesn't,  try the other.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:57 pm »

I bought one of those thermo wells and silicone bung and it didn't perform well and it would not stay in place. 

Silicone stoppers are the work of the devil and should be banned by international treaty.  ;)  They will not stick in anything.  Being slippery, of course, is exactly what silicone is designed to do.  Rubber is the answer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 01:23:42 pm »
I know we've been here before, Denny. I tried the probe in a thermowell one time, at your recommendation, and the result was big swings in the beer temperature, and either cooling or heating running almost nonstop.   Because of the much greater thermal mass of the beer compared to the air, by the time the controller registers that set temperature has been achieved, ambient has gone far beyond it in whichever direction; then the beer coasts in that direction,  and the over correction cycle starts in the other direction....  My experience aligns with the theory of the manufacturers, and the experience of many other brewers.  There is clearly, however, a set of brewers who get good results from probing the beer instead of the air, like Denny.  So whatever works for you.  But if one method doesn't,  try the other.

Forgot we'd discussed this....but I'm pretty sure I didn't recommend a thermowell since I have no experience with them.  I put the probe against the side of the fermenter, put a paper towel over it and duct tape it down.  But I agree...whatever works!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 01:43:40 pm »

Forgot we'd discussed this....but I'm pretty sure I didn't recommend a thermowell since I have no experience with them.  I put the probe against the side of the fermenter, put a paper towel over it and duct tape it down.  But I agree...whatever works!

No, you're right Denny, you just recommended I try monitoring beer instead of air.  At the time I happened to be using fermenter with a thermowell, so that was how I accomplished it.  An irrelevant detail as I see it.   What might not be irrelevant is that said fermenter was  Speidel, made of plastic with a high insulating value.  Had I tried the method with my previous glass carboys or my current 10 gallon corny, just sticking the probe to the side, my results might have been different.  Obviously many factors come into play.  But I'm not fixing my system, because it isn't broke. And I've also adopted the approach of exercising less precise control, just setting acceptable ambient conditions and proceeding to RDWHAHB while the beer sees to itself. I think you influenced me in that too.  :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio