Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stewards in NHC ?  (Read 994 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Stewards in NHC ?
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:39:52 am »
What do stewards do in brewing competitions? Do you need any experience to steward?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Stewards in NHC ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:03:18 am »
They deliver the correct beer to the correct set of judges and collect score sheets.  In homebrew competitions generally, they may also sample beers and provide input in the judging including filling out score sheets.  I'm not sure exactly what stewards do at NHC and I expect there is some variance between the first round sites. 

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:31:06 am »
If the judges want you to do something differently, they'll tell you. Example-beers were too cold in a competition I was organizing, so the judges asked the steward to bring beers out a bit early to warm up. Otherwise it's just making sure the judges have everything they need to do their job-cups, pretzels, pencils, etc.

Side note: Clawhammer or scruggs style?

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:00:50 pm »
If I’m playing 5 string it’s Scruggs. I played a ton of gigs on the tenor banjo (for Broadway shows mainly) but every once in a while  I be asked to play 5 string. It’s a real challenge to go from tenor/ guitar/ mandolin to the 5 string in Scruggs or Clawhammer style!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:00 pm »
If I’m playing 5 string it’s Scruggs. I played a ton of gigs on the tenor banjo (for Broadway shows mainly) but every once in a while  I be asked to play 5 string. It’s a real challenge to go from tenor/ guitar/ mandolin to the 5 string in Scruggs or Clawhammer style!

I always admire those who can play. I play a mean radio but that’s about it. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 03:18:04 pm »
What do stewards do in brewing competitions? Do you need any experience to steward?

If you have a good comp director and experienced head steward then, no, you don't need any experience.

Basically your job is to do whatever you are told.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but the stewards job is to supply whatever the judges need so they don't need to leave the table.  The next sample, more blank score sheets, pencils that work, more water, more crackers etc.  They may ask you to bring over the comp director or judge coordinator for a question involving the rules (should a beer be disqualified, is this beer mis-categorized etc etc).  As they say for several different jobs and services, if no one notices you, you're doing your job perfectly!

Be careful though, stewarding tends to lead to judging!
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year