Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filtering Beer Prior to Kegging  (Read 5496 times)

Offline Bob

• 1st Kit
Filtering Beer Prior to Kegging
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:57 pm »
I'm getting ready to start kegging and I'd like to filter out yeast and particulate before filling the keg. Then I'd condition in the keg with CO2.  I'm looking for some guidance on equipment and advice.  What equipment are folks out there using and what do they like about it?  Thanks and cheers!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Filtering Beer Prior to Kegging
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:22:01 pm »
I've used this for many years and can recommend it.

https://www.grapeandgranary.com/vintage-shop-filter-head.html

It is simple to set up and break down and the large diameter plates can filter 5 gallons fairly quickly as long as it's not too turbid to start with. (You want to crash the beer and settle as much yeast as possible before filtering.)  I've looked around and it's easily the best homebrew filter available.   You need to keep your pressure to 5-6 psi, so beer has to be carbonated after filtration.   Plate filters strip far less than cartridge filters and result in less loss of beer.  That said, I've gotten away from filtering in the last year because all filters strip a bit of body and flavor and it's difficult to avoid some degree of oxygen pickup.   But clean, crystal clear beer certainly has its appeal.  Enjoy!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:24:19 pm »
I’ve seen folks cold crash the fermenter and transfer clear beer to a keg.

I’ve seen folks transfer from primary fermenter to a secondary, cold crash it and transfer clear beer to a keg.

I’ve seen folks use one keg as a bright tank where they transfer beer from the fermenter to the bright tank to condition then transfer to another keg to carbonate and serve.

I’ve also seen folks use a cartridge filter and transfer between kegs with the filter in between. Same with a plate filter.

However, I simply close transfer from fermenter to keg and let time and cold temp do the work to get clear beer.  I’ve found this to be the least chance of oxidation and hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:35:25 pm »

I’ve seen folks use one keg as a bright tank where they transfer beer from the fermenter to the bright tank to condition then transfer to another keg to carbonate and serve.

I’ve also seen folks use a cartridge filter and transfer between kegs with the filter in between. Same with a plate filter.

What I used to do.  [Tried the bright tank idea after I stopped filtering.]

However, I simply close transfer from fermenter to keg and let time and cold temp do the work to get clear beer.  I’ve found this to be the least chance of oxidation and hassle.
What I now do, and why. 

But anybody who wants to give filtering a try and decide for themselves, well that's how you learn.

[EDIT to insert correct quote]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:05:50 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:43 pm »

I do the same with good results, just takes time and you have to cut the dip tube a little bit to avoid picking up settled yeast. I'm trying this gadget for the first time on my current batch hoping to shorten the time a bit. Finally, I've learned to accept a bit of haze for some styles.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Top-Draw-Beer-Pick-Up-Tube-P4643.aspx

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:14 pm »
I filtered a mead once and found that too much flavor was stripped out.  And strangely, a filtered bottle ended up with more sediment at the bottom than an unfiltered bottle from the same batch.  It was a 1 micron filter so I'm not sure how that happened.  But ultimately the filtering didn't work for me.

Now I just give things time to settle and use the Clear Beer Draught System, which is a device similar to what TeeDubb linked.  I love it.

If you do try filtering, please post how things go.  Cheers!

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:30:37 pm »

Ditto

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:36 am »
Another idea.  I use an inline strainer that i got from Grainger, part number 6UJL3.

https://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=inline%20strainers&suggestConfigId=6&searchBar=true

I works great to capture hop particles from dry hopping and also will capture a bit of the residual yeast when transferring.  I basically use it when I am transferring dry hopped IPA's.  When kegging other beers out of the fermenter (I have a conical), I just burp the yeast out of the bottom of the cone, transfer the beer without the screen, cold crash, carbonate, and enjoy.  The first couple glasses will have s bit of yeast residue in them but the remainder will be crystal clear.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:59:07 pm »
I've used this for many years and can recommend it.

https://www.grapeandgranary.com/vintage-shop-filter-head.html

I have one of those in as new condition with some filters and lines I'll let go for half price. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!