Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ph meter  (Read 3368 times)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: ph meter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:17 pm »
Truth be told, I really don't see the need to take pH at all. As long as you know the mineral composition of the water you're brewing with, Bru'n water is accurate enough--and the mashing process is forgiving enough--that your beers will turn out fine. My compulsion to take and care about pH is a holdover from my commercial brewing days. I don't do it much anymore...

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 07:55:52 pm »
Truth be told, I really don't see the need to take pH at all. As long as you know the mineral composition of the water you're brewing with, Bru'n water is accurate enough--and the mashing process is forgiving enough--that your beers will turn out fine. My compulsion to take and care about pH is a holdover from my commercial brewing days. I don't do it much anymore...

I agree with this too.  I only got my pH meter about 3 years ago... brewing all-grain for about 10 years before that without any real problems.  Come to find my typical water and mash regimen gets me to about 5.4 pH anyway even without measuring.  Some people are not so lucky, but most are.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 09:55:15 am »

I agree with this too.  I only got my pH meter about 3 years ago... brewing all-grain for about 10 years before that without any real problems.  Come to find my typical water and mash regimen gets me to about 5.4 pH anyway even without measuring.  Some people are not so lucky, but most are.
i agree for the most part you will have little to no problems without measuring ph, but measuring and adjusting ph at multiple stages of the brewing process not just the mash gives you that much more control and its easy so why not
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:31 am »

i agree for the most part you will have little to no problems without measuring ph, but measuring and adjusting ph at multiple stages of the brewing process not just the mash gives you that much more control and its easy so why not

Like everything else, brewers have to decide for themselves whether the benefit of obtaining the mash and/or kettle pH is worth the cost of a meter as well as the calibration/storage solutions. But really, once you have your brewing salts and processes dialed in, you'll always be in the optimum pH range. It's almost impossible not to be. So you won't get any actionable info by continuing to take pH readings. What I'd recommend to someone wondering whether they should buy a meter is to instead see if they can borrow one and use it for a few brews to get their stuff dialed in. Then they'll never need to use a pH meter again.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:59:19 am »

Like everything else, brewers have to decide for themselves whether the benefit of obtaining the mash and/or kettle pH is worth the cost of a meter as well as the calibration/storage solutions. But really, once you have your brewing salts and processes dialed in, you'll always be in the optimum pH range. It's almost impossible not to be. So you won't get any actionable info by continuing to take pH readings. What I'd recommend to someone wondering whether they should buy a meter is to instead see if they can borrow one and use it for a few brews to get their stuff dialed in. Then they'll never need to use a pH meter again.
yeah i hear ya but the ph of a pilsner will be different then the ph of a ipa and that will be different then the ph of a stout etc, for someone like me, all i brew regularly is a pilsner and a stout and a sour once a year so that would probably be easier to dial in but if you brew a wide range of beers maybe better just to buy a ph meter, and you are right as home brewers we do what we wanna do and what works for us, me personally like to have proof that my ph is were i want it everytime i brew, i dont like to cross my fingers and assume i have it dialed in, i like to know without a shadow of a doubt, but i dont disagree with any ones methods cause its their methods
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 11:05:32 am »
yeah i hear ya but the ph of a pilsner will be different then the ph of a ipa and that will be different then the ph of a stout etc, for someone like me, all i brew regularly is a pilsner and a stout and a sour once a year so that would probably be easier to dial in but if you brew a wide range of beers maybe better just to buy a ph meter, and you are right as home brewers we do what we wanna do and what works for us, me personally like to have proof that my ph is were i want it everytime i brew, i dont like to cross my fingers and assume i have it dialed in, i like to know without a shadow of a doubt, but i dont disagree with any ones methods cause its their methods

I've found that using Bru'nwater makes a meter pretty much unnecessary.  I checked pH for a while and every time it was what Bru'nwater predicted.  I now have 3 pH meters that sit in a drawer because I no longer need them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 12:15:13 pm »

I've found that using Bru'nwater makes a meter pretty much unnecessary.  I checked pH for a while and every time it was what Bru'nwater predicted.  I now have 3 pH meters that sit in a drawer because I no longer need them.
Bru'n Water gets me within the range you can expect, +/- 0.2-0.3 of predicted.  It varies with every malt. No software can know all the factors that go into the real world pH.   If that's close enough for a given brewer (it's certainly in the broadly acceptable range,) you're good.  If you want to fine tune it to get a certain quality of flavor, body, etc. then using a meter and learning to further dial in your treatments is for you.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 12:16:21 pm »

Echoing Denny and they sit right next to my stir plate and 5.2 product....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 12:49:05 pm »
i need to get brun water again , i had it on my old computer, but i dont remember brun water predicting kettle ph,post boil ph or final beer ph, does it?  i know people are gonna say just worry mash ph but when i brew i dont like to make it easier, brewing is a hobby and you can take the high road or the low road and get great beer its all up to you, yeah i know some extra steps might not make a difference but if it means my brew days are longer im all for it, i dont brew just to make beer i love brewing with a passion so nothing on brew day is inconvenient to me, the more hoops(maybe unnecessary hoops) i have to jump through means the longer the brew is and the happier i am
Matty

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:58:41 pm »
BW just predicts mash pH.  But everything else follows from that starting point.  I also use BW to help guesstimate my kettle acid addition when I use one, but that's a non standard use I'm still playing with.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 01:46:44 pm »
I also like to measure final beer pH, mostly just for fun, but it can be interesting.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 01:56:41 pm »
I also like to measure final beer pH, mostly just for fun, but it can be interesting.
Heck, I might take more pH readings than I eat hot dinners during the life of a brew.  Mash, wort, chilled wort, frequent gravity samples during fermentation, at racking... you can never have too much data to track to learn how things work, how to adjust things, predict things, diagnose and fix things, just confirm that things are proceeding normally....  If that's how you approach brewing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 02:00:35 pm »
i need to get brun water again , i had it on my old computer, but i dont remember brun water predicting kettle ph,post boil ph or final beer ph, does it?  i know people are gonna say just worry mash ph but when i brew i dont like to make it easier, brewing is a hobby and you can take the high road or the low road and get great beer its all up to you, yeah i know some extra steps might not make a difference but if it means my brew days are longer im all for it, i dont brew just to make beer i love brewing with a passion so nothing on brew day is inconvenient to me, the more hoops(maybe unnecessary hoops) i have to jump through means the longer the brew is and the happier i am

No, it doesn't predict those.  And I assume you mean the more complicated way is the "low road"....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 02:47:08 pm »

Exactly!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 08:08:32 am »
dmtaylor - which chinese cheap meter are you talking about? 

Looks just like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Poit-Tester-Resolution-Function-Calibration/dp/B07MY28JPW/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=ph+meter+home+brewing&qid=1552955883&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I really dont see the point in spending $100+ for an instrument, for readings that are too late in teh process.  I mean, what am I learning by waiting to test a sample at room temp?  Am I missing something here?

I'm in the minority for sure... but I for one totally completely agree with you.  I want to measure in the first few minutes, get my pH, and not dork around.

And if the thing dies after a few years (mine has NOT yet), then it's so cheap that I'll just buy a new one.  Call me crazy.

I have the Milwaukee 102 meter mentioned previously and it works great.  I bought it used from a guy that was getting out of homebrewing and only had to replace the probe since it was not calibrating properly. Since I have a RIMS system, I measure the pH within about the first 5 minutes or so of mashing in (as Dave said. I don't like to dork around) and since, from what I have read, a lot of conversion takes place in the first 10 minutes of the rest.  I take a small sample in a shot glass, cool it to below 100 degrees (usually to around 80 or so)  in a container of cold water, take the measurement, and adjust if necessary.  As a side note I always get really close to what Bru'n Water predicts for mash pH and normally need no adjustments.

I don't dispute what Rob has said about the buffer stabilization in the mash and if you don't have a recirculation system, you might have to wait a bit longer to get an accurate pH measurement.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified