Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crash - how cold is cold enough?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Cold crash - how cold is cold enough?
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:03:25 pm »
I have been testing a new cooling system and although I am pleased with its performance overall, I am a bit disappointed in its lowest achievable temperature. My old system could cool down to 34 F, but the new one can only get to 36 so far. Is that good enough? I can work on getting it lower, but it would be quite an effort. I usually keep the beer at the low temperature for 3-4 days before packaging.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cold crash - how cold is cold enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:00 pm »
Most yeast drops pretty quickly anywhere below 40°F.  Really there's not much difference between 34°F and 36°F.  Both are cold.  I wouldn't worry. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:22:54 am »
Also make sure your thermometer is reading correctly - you could be colder or warmer than you think!  I would measure with an accurate probe in a glass of water for best results.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:30:08 am »
Also make sure your thermometer is reading correctly - you could be colder or warmer than you think!  I would measure with an accurate probe in a glass of water for best results.  Cheers!

Accuracy is not a problem. I have a PT100 RTD probe that is accurate to better than 0.5 degree F checked across the entire range from freezing to boiling.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 11:02:10 am »
Sounds like you have it dialed in - my point was that relying on the thermostat of the cooling chamber (refrigerator or freezer), as some folks do, for temperature settings can be somewhat unreliable.  By all means, proceed with what you have, it is way more than appropriate and you have confirmed with full temp range readings.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:46:29 am »
I crash at 40F. It takes a bit longer, but still able to go grain to glass in 14 days for most beers.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 06:43:44 am »
Under 38 has been best for my experience and certain fining agents like BioFine need to be close to 32 to really work well.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:22 am »
i cold crash @32F-34F serve at 38F
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 02:23:26 pm »

Wow, that is a pretty cold serving temperature. If I remember correctly in England they serve their local beers at something like 50F, which is called "cellar temperature" or "cold", and they serve American beers closer to 40F, which is called "ice cold". As with wine, the temperature affects the volatility of aroma compounds, and too low a temperature will reduce the aroma and flavor you get from the beverage.

My cooling system will produce lower temperatures, but the water in the heat exchange block began to freeze and clog the hoses with ice when the beer was at 35.5. I could go lower if I use propylene glycol to lower the freezing point of the cooling liquid, but I don't want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 03:58:34 pm »

Wow, that is a pretty cold serving temperature. If I remember correctly in England they serve their local beers at something like 50F, which is called "cellar temperature" or "cold", and they serve American beers closer to 40F, which is called "ice cold". As with wine, the temperature affects the volatility of aroma compounds, and too low a temperature will reduce the aroma and flavor you get from the beverage.

My cooling system will produce lower temperatures, but the water in the heat exchange block began to freeze and clog the hoses with ice when the beer was at 35.5. I could go lower if I use propylene glycol to lower the freezing point of the cooling liquid, but I don't want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary.
i can let the beer warm up if need be in the glass, i prefer cold beer for the styles i brew plus the colder the beer is stored the fresher it stays
Matty

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 04:31:26 pm »
^^^^
My preferred serving temperature is 45°F; I keep my keezer set at 40°F, on the assumption that the beer will warm up a good 5°F when poured into the glass/mug and allowed to sit for a minute.  Same basic idea.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 09:56:05 pm »
OK, then I would say that the 38 - 40 F temperature is the STORAGE temperature, not the serving temperature. US refrigerators can't be set to temperatures above 42 F because that is the max temperature for food safety. After various attempts to force mine to regulate higher I have given up. I store the beer at a low temperature but generally let it warm up a bit (how much depends on the style) before I serve it. I don't really measure the final temperature in the glass, but now I might start doing that just for fun!

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 05:21:55 am »

I don't really measure the final temperature in the glass, but now I might start doing that just for fun!
It's fun once.  You know, just for reference.  After that it may be pathological.   ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 08:01:04 am »
If you keeping kegs at 38F, one trick is to rinse your glass with hot water when making it beer clean.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 11:03:39 am »
OK, then I would say that the 38 - 40 F temperature is the STORAGE temperature, not the serving temperature. US refrigerators can't be set to temperatures above 42 F because that is the max temperature for food safety. After various attempts to force mine to regulate higher I have given up. I store the beer at a low temperature but generally let it warm up a bit (how much depends on the style) before I serve it. I don't really measure the final temperature in the glass, but now I might start doing that just for fun!
i use a chest freezer with a bunch of damp rid so i can get my beer as cold as i prefer, my dry stout i prefer warmer then my G pils but still colder then people say you should serve, i have measured the temps in the glass but IMO it is not that important i just use my senses, there is recommendations for temps according to style i dont believe any of it its all up to what the drinker wants
Matty