Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: conference location decision  (Read 3133 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: conference location decision
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:21 pm »

And that's if the state/local laws don't prohibit the conference for any reason. (alcohol laws can be insane).

Didn't last year have the homebrew/commercial brew mason-dixon line in the Homebrew Expo?  I felt bad for the security guard trying to explain to some of the attendees why they couldn't bring a beer from one side to the other.

Yes, that was the case.

I didn't realize it was like that in Portland (I missed last years conference despite living in Portland, huge bummer) but I remember 4 years ago in San Diego it was the same way.  On pro night big signs for no consumption of homebrew in this area, and vice versa on club night and also commercial to commercial.. people were popping bottles in the hallway and then they couldn't bring it into the dinner because the dinner was being handled by licensed servers and a liquor license.  They made California work but I can only imagine the hoops they had to jump through.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »
I'd like to echo the law issues, and really point out the "more than 1 club" aspect needed to hold the event.

Laws relating to alcohol are often asinine.  It's even worse when you bring home brew into the mix.  Then, throw in homebrew transportation crossing state (or even NATIONAL -- ask the Vancouver BC guys about bringing homebrew to NHC) borders, and you get a perfect storm of pedantry and "How dare you?!?! You are but a lowly subject, you heathen" BS.

But it really took a group of us forming our "club of clubs" -- WAHA (Washington Homebrewers' Association) that made it a reality.  We were able to get most of the clubs in the state to come together to plan and execute on that plan.  Without everyone pitching in and helping, there was no way we could lobby to pass laws that enabled legal homebrew transportation, no way we could get all the committees manned, no way we could get all the big and little things done that brought the conference up to Seattle (well, Bellevue).

I made many new friends in that process, and remain close to them today, 7 years later.  It's always like a little class reunion whenever we get together. 
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 08:06:49 pm »
I'd like to echo the law issues, and really point out the "more than 1 club" aspect needed to hold the event.

Laws relating to alcohol are often asinine.  It's even worse when you bring home brew into the mix.  Then, throw in homebrew transportation crossing state (or even NATIONAL -- ask the Vancouver BC guys about bringing homebrew to NHC) borders, and you get a perfect storm of pedantry and "How dare you?!?! You are but a lowly subject, you heathen" BS.

But it really took a group of us forming our "club of clubs" -- WAHA (Washington Homebrewers' Association) that made it a reality.  We were able to get most of the clubs in the state to come together to plan and execute on that plan.  Without everyone pitching in and helping, there was no way we could lobby to pass laws that enabled legal homebrew transportation, no way we could get all the committees manned, no way we could get all the big and little things done that brought the conference up to Seattle (well, Bellevue).

I made many new friends in that process, and remain close to them today, 7 years later.  It's always like a little class reunion whenever we get together.

Thank you from someone who had a great time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 08:39:47 pm »
You are most welcome! Glad you had a good time!
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:37 pm »
What about the timing? Does it have to be the fourth week of June every year?  My wedding anniversary and my youngest sons birthday are that week also and every year this causes all kinds of headaches.  What are the chances of varying the timing a couple weeks in either direction?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 06:55:47 am »
What about the timing? Does it have to be the fourth week of June every year?  My wedding anniversary and my youngest sons birthday are that week also and every year this causes all kinds of headaches.  What are the chances of varying the timing a couple weeks in either direction?

The timing of the conference is dependent on the availability of the venue in the host city but usually falls on the fourth week.  Since June 1 is a Saturday this year, it falls on the third week.  I am sure someone else from the AHA can weigh in on this in more detail since I don't know how much wiggle room theere is on scheduling.  Unfortunately, the date selection will not work for everyone.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 05:18:08 pm »
I remember a Conference on the second weekend, teacher friends were bummed they couldn't go.

There were some on Father's day weekend, that had many conflicted.

Edit, used that Google thing to find past dates.

https://www.homebrewcon.org/past-conferences/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:21:52 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 06:15:29 am »
I remember Philly being the first one since I started attending that was at the end of the month.  Worked out perfect as I added a couple extra recuperation days through July 4th. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------