Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey Guitar Players...  (Read 31504 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hey Guitar Players...
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »
The carbon copy is a nice pedal, a bandmate uses it.  But I'm not much of a delay guy.

I did recently get ahold of the Line 6 roto-machine or whatever its called...small stompbox rotary speaker effect.  It may not be the BEST rotary speaker effect out there (not that I know for sure) but all the other ones seem quite expensive...this one has "the sound", unlike a phaser/univibe, etc.  Great pedal, although I'm not a huge fan of the switching mechanism (integrates two switches into one, I would rather have a separate footswitch for fast/slow and on/off).

My main pursuit in tone right know is one of Mr. William Collins...I've got "Munchies for Your Love" and "What's a Telephone Bill" ringing in my head, and that crisp, funky edgy bass tone in the former, and the watery MuTron of the latter are what I'd love to be able to call upon.  I have an Ashdown Envelope Filter, and its OK, but not quite what I'm after.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »
Ah PEDALS! I love em!

I only have a few. I have a few Z.vex pedals. I also have a MoFaux Vibe... This is probably one of the most favorite pedals I have had.

ZVex pedals are great.  In fact, Zachary Vex is a Minneapolis local.  He's pretty well connected with the local music scene and, on occasion, will let bands borrow pedals from the factory for recording and such.  Cool guy!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:51 pm »
nic, have you ever played the Moog Low-Pass Filter pedal?  It has an envelope follower that allows you to do filter sweeps.  The bass player in my old band had one and it was very cool.  I'm not sure if it will do what you're after, but it was great in its own right.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:15:24 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2009, 07:20:35 am »
Love the ZVex stuff..thanks to a complete gear slut friend, I've had the chance to play a bunch of booteek pedals from Keeley, Analogman, Frantone, MI Audio, Lovepedal, Catalinbread, Toneczar, etc.

...there's definitely a Fuzz Factory in my near future :)

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2009, 07:22:44 am »
I have a hate/hate relationship for pedals.

They have too many power supplies and they are just noisy.

I know that most here feel differently but for me they have little or no place in my playing life.

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2009, 07:25:50 am »
I have a hate/hate relationship for pedals.

They have too many power supplies and they are just noisy.

I know that most here feel differently but for me they have little or no place in my playing life.

I power my everything on my board from a single source:

http://godlyke.com/index.php?pr=Online_Store&thiscat=4&=SID

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2009, 07:31:20 am »
I preset everything in my rack and run it off a single midi footboard.

That to me is the true path to the happy hunting grounds

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2009, 08:02:24 am »
skotrat I was about to kind of agree with you, but for different reasons...I too hate the complicated arrays of pedals and I've rarely used more than two boxes at a time.  But I'm not a rackmount guy either, I just like this in between guitar and tube circuit:

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2009, 08:05:34 am »
yep...

I will use a wireless from time to time but a good cable at limited length always sounds best

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:52 am »
It's of course dependent on style too.  As might be gleaned from my avatar and Bootsy references I've been into funk of late and even in other styles I find myself loving the clean tones.  About as much from any rig as I could want would be a good medium low wattage tube amp, 30 watts EL84 style would be perfect, set to where top volume on the guitar starts to get a bit crunchy when played hard, a nice vintage fuzz and maybe a modulation effect, probably a phaser style (Rotovibe is a fun pedal).  What can I say, I like simplicity, of course this means I can't play as wide a variety of styles properly like you guys, but six-string is not my "paying" instrument so I can afford to be more self-indulgent there anyway.

One of my guitar builds is a thinline tele in mahogany and redwood, and it has a alnico polepiece P90 from Lindy Fralin in the neck position.  That pickup has the sort of tone that needs no effects inline!

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2009, 08:19:50 am »
I totally understand that... I have become a bit of a gadget minimalist as the years went by.

I definitely want a wide variety of tones but I want it easily and efficiently without having to bend over all the time to adjust a bunch of pedals.

I also believe that you overdrive/distortion should be gotten from your amp and not from pedals.

About the only time I ever used an overdrive was my RAT pedal... but that has been gone for 25 years now

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2009, 09:19:06 am »
I too like amp overdrive.  I've never been a huge fan of "overdrive" pedals, ie., tube screamer and its many boutique progeny.  They sound OK, but I like the amp version more!  However I do have a soft spot for crazy, wild vintage fuzz pedals....buzzsaw Germanium transistor boxes like the Tonebender, the screaming, alien, almost ring modulator type wail of the various octave fuzzes, etc.  Those sort of sounds are "bad" in a good kinda way. 

Although, don't try using a Germanium fuzz pedal outside on a 100F summer day with your gear sitting in the sun.  Had a pedal temporarily give up the ghost once! 

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2009, 11:31:46 am »
yep...

I will use a wireless from time to time but a good cable at limited length always sounds best

I know squat about all the technical guitar talk.  But I DO know this-  Albert Collins always sounded great on his very, very long cable playing out in the middle of the street all the while plugged back into the bar.  Man I miss that

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2009, 04:45:04 pm »
A 72 reissue telecaster from Fender Japan:

I also have a Danelectro U1, a Martin DC-15E, a Fender Deluxe Reverb (65 reissue), and a few pedals.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »
That is one pretty Telecaster!