Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming my keg  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Paul Simmons

• 1st Kit
Priming my keg
« on: May 30, 2019, 04:51:42 pm »
I'm still kind of a noob so sorry in advance. But I'm making a Shandy and was going to play wit it a little, instead of using lemon I am going to change that to orange. My question is could I prime my keg with Tang in place of sugar and flavor? If I can could anyone suggest an amount? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Priming my keg
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:52:27 am »
Many extracts and powdered drink mixes are not the best for beer flavoring, but Tang has sugar in it, so it will ferment.  Check out Wikipedia or the label on the product for specifics.  You may have to use quite a bit to achieve your intended level of priming - which could be excessive in terms of the flavor profile desired in the finished beer.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 06:30:02 am »
I have to agree with ynotbrusum - the flavoring component of your endeavor may be over the top in order to get the priming you need.  My suggestion, is to use a flavoring and priming with corn sugar.

https://chicagobrewwerks.com/products/flavoring-natural-orange-4-oz

The flavoring will give you, well, flavor and the priming will be accomplished while controlling the outcome.  You will add corn sugar based on the volume of beer you’re conditioning and the level of carbonation you seek.  Alternatively, you can force carbonate and forget the corn sugar part all together.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:11:58 am »
You could run a test. Scale down the amount of priming "tang" you would need for a keg to the amount needed for a single beer. Stir that into one beer and taste. If it produces the amount of orange flavor you seek, then go for it.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:23:27 am »
Tang should work just fine for priming.  Knowing that you need about 1/3 cup sugar to prime a 5-gallon keg, my wild guess with all the fillers and acids in the Tang is that you might end up needing roughly 1/2 plus a tablespoon or two of Tang to properly prime 5 gallons.  If only priming a smaller 5-Liter keg then divide recommendations by 3.8 (Liters per gallon).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:34:28 pm »
Tang should work just fine for priming.  Knowing that you need about 1/3 cup sugar to prime a 5-gallon keg, my wild guess with all the fillers and acids in the Tang is that you might end up needing roughly 1/2 plus a tablespoon or two of Tang to properly prime 5 gallons.  If only priming a smaller 5-Liter keg then divide recommendations by 3.8 (Liters per gallon).
I haven't thought about Tang in ages, but everything has a nutritional label.  You should be able to read the grams of sugar in a given serving size and pretty well calculate how much product you need for priming. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 12:42:34 pm »
I haven't thought about Tang in ages, but everything has a nutritional label.  You should be able to read the grams of sugar in a given serving size and pretty well calculate how much product you need for priming.

Yup, and that.  Yes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.