Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC finals/ entries shipped via FedEx not being delivered but returned to sender  (Read 2499 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Dear John Moorehead,
RE: The FedEx station in Seekonk, MA who is the freight hub for Tessier's Hardware & Homebrew, in Pawtucket RI is opening all packages headed to the home-brew store. They're returning all packages where they find beer.

We all know you are a volunteer, and we can only imagine how much time this takes away from your personal life. So be bold, do your best, and let the chips fall where they may...

You need to get ahead of this situation.  Working behind the scenes is not enough.  You need to explain what is happening, what is the plan as of today Saturday, be clear that the plan may change, and that you will send an update on Monday and further updates during the week.

Here are my humble suggestions:

Immediately, let all participants know that this is happening, and tell them what the plan is for now. For example (this is just an example, my only point is that a communication needs to happen now...)

SUGGESTED TEXT

The competition will go ahead. We do realize that many shipped their last bottles. We are really sorry but we do not have a solution for this problem at the moment.

If you already shipped entries via FedEx and you have extra beer, plan to bottle immediately and ship this week via UPS. We cannot guarantee that UPS will work but it has worked so far, but we do not have a better alternative at the moment. We will send an update to all participants on Monday morning.

We are presently working with FedEx to resolve the situation. We judge it is better not to do this negotiation in public. Please do NOT try to shame FedEx in public forums as this may backfire.

Again, we are sorry this has happened, and we will do our best to plan for it next time. 

Signature

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
There are special rules with Fed Ex for shipping alcohol:

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/alcohol/shipping-requirements.html

It sounds like quite a hassle.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
I used UPS and created the label on line. I dropped it off at the store last Monday. It arrived Thursday. I am sorry you all are having this issue.
When I ship entries, I would like to let them know what is exactly in the package. I just don't like the idea of being vague, or even lying. So far, all my entries have arrived safely. But, I would like them to know what is in it so they can participate more effectively in making sure the entries arrive in tact.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline johnny_mo

• Cellarman
Please refer to the email sent out to entrants yesterday afternoon regarding FedEx shipments.
We are currently doing our best to resolve the situation and put alternatives in place to relieve the issue as much as possible. As of right now, there hasn’t been a ruling from the FedEx center in Seekonk, MA, as to allowing the shipments through based on the phone calls yesterday. We are talking with their management team tomorrow morning first thing and will send an update out then. We find it more useful to have these negotiations between our organization and FedEx to explain the purpose of the shipments and the event.
This issue is currently affecting ground shipments, not 2/3 day shipping or overnight shipping.
As of now, if you have your entries rejected and returned, we will accommodate re-shipment as best as possible up to the judging on Thursday, June 27. We understand that many of you shipped last week only to find your packages rejected and returned, with the packages containing your last bottles. If you have extra bottles, or have not shipped, please consider using a different carrier and, if able, ship 2 or 3 day shipping.
We deeply regret the current situation, and are doing our best to resolve the situation this year, and putting plans in place for future years.

Sincerely,
John Moorhead
NHC Director

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
I got burned on this one too. If you look at FedEx and UPS, they have similar restrictions. So technically you can get burned by both. It would be nice to find a permanent fix to this, but I'm not too sure it would be very easy, if even possible.

It's not the end of the world, but it still kinda sucks.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH

Please do NOT try to shame FedEx in public forums as this may backfire.

Too late...I've been shaming them for years :)

Never had an issue with UPS.  Create label at home, bring into work and drop with the other packages for the daily pickup.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline johnny_mo

• Cellarman
2019 NHC Shipping Issue Update (6.17.2019)

On Friday afternoon, June 14, we were informed of a FedEx Ground distribution hub in Massachusetts holding up packages scheduled for delivery to Tessier's Hardware & Homebrew.

The distribution hub had reason to believe, after discovering a leaky package containing homebrew, that many of the packages scheduled for delivery to the homebrew store contained homebrew that did not have the proper FedEx paperwork. If homebrew was found, the distribution hub rejected delivery of the package and scheduled the package to be returned to the shipper.

Anyone involved in this issue would have been notified by FedEx or will hear from FedEx if there is a disruption in delivery of your package to the homebrew shop. You may also track your shipment's progress via a tracking number if you requested one.

FedEx's policy on alcohol shipments is it must come from an authorized licensed beer shipper (e.g. liquor store, distributor) and require an adult signature (age of 21+) upon delivery. If these two requirements are not met, the package is considered a prohibited item and is either destroyed or returned to the original destination. It is not illegal to ship alcohol through FedEx and other carriers (except for the USPS). However, it is the company's prerogative to define an alcohol shipping policy.

We have had conversations with the FedEx distribution hub, customer service and support, customer escalation team, and legal team. Currently, we have not reached a compromise to release the rejected packages scheduled for delivery to the homebrew shop.

We are continuing to explore every possible option to release the packages. If your entries have been rejected and scheduled returned, and you have extra bottles, please plan on shipping those as soon as possible. We are extending the shipping deadline to June 22, 2 p.m. EST for re-shipment of entries, and will be flexible and understanding on those re-shipped entries. Please include the rejection letter in your package from FedEx and choose a different carrier other than FedEx.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience, frustration, and untimely disruption this is causing, and will continue to look for a solution and do our best to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
As someone who has shipped beer for nearly 30 years, I can emphatically add that FedEx should always be your last choice. USPS and UPS are infinitely better.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
FedEx is terrible for shipping anything.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

A simple solution would be for Fed Ex to adopt a policy allowing competition sites to register as “recognized permitted shipping destinations” and assign a code for those shipments to be attached to any boxes shipped to the applicable sites.  They could be expressly subject to whatever additional precautions that are necessary, including indemnification by the host relative to any liabilities.  AHA could then coordinate it’s insurance program to include this aspect, if it is not already covered, and local competitions through homebrew clubs could be encouraged to obtain coverage through the AHA, with policies as are presently offered through AHA (or with a specific rider to those policies for this issue).  My two cents....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
I am sure we on the GC will be talking about this in Providence.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

A simple solution would be for Fed Ex to adopt a policy allowing competition sites to register as “recognized permitted shipping destinations” and assign a code for those shipments to be attached to any boxes shipped to the applicable sites.  They could be expressly subject to whatever additional precautions that are necessary, including indemnification by the host relative to any liabilities.  AHA could then coordinate it’s insurance program to include this aspect, if it is not already covered, and local competitions through homebrew clubs could be encouraged to obtain coverage through the AHA, with policies as are presently offered through AHA (or with a specific rider to those policies for this issue).  My two cents....

I was thinking on the other end: that the AHA could become a licensed shipper and by extension — since the AHA is comprised of members — the membership could ship under the AHA umbrella license.

...a combination of both ideas might satisfy everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline johnny_mo

• Cellarman
Update on FedEx Ground shipments to receiving locations for competition - June 19

As of today, June 19, we have learned that the FedEx Ground Distribution Hub in Seekonk, MA, has resumed delivery of FedEx ground packages to the receiving locations. The receiving locations received packages from FedEx ground on Monday, Tuesday, and today.

We were not and have not been given an official notice from FedEx corporate or the distribution hub on this change of policy, but believe that your efforts and our efforts to resolve this matter have made a difference in resuming of normal business operations. We are continuing to monitor the situation and continuously trying to release any packages that are still being held at the distribution hub to the final receiving destination.

Continue to track and monitor your package as it goes through the logistical channels of any shipper, and update us appropriately if it is intercepted.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Good news.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
FedEx is terrible for shipping anything.
My experience has been the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk