Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting is done!!  (Read 5219 times)

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
Fermenting is done!!
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:16 am »
So I'm going to be putting it in a 5gallon keg, going to pressurize at 20psi, and let it self carbonate. No priming sugar....

Will this work?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Fermenting is done!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:35 am »
You'll have to leave the pressure on continuously for a while in order to have enough CO2 to fill the volume.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »
Sometimes if I'm pressed for time I'll set my pressure at 30psi for 2-3 days and be ready to serve.
That's assuming a beer that was cold crashed to 34F.
Ron Price

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:34:51 pm »
I've placed primary in the walk-in cooler, so that will bring it to 34F, I will transfer to secondary and place back in walk-in at 34F. Then I will transfer to 5gallon keg, pressurize at 20psi, and wait a week or two then I will drink it.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »
A week or two at 20psi is too long.  What style of beer did you brew?
Ron Price

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »
Black Cherry Ale. How long should i keep it at 20psi for??

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »
Black Cherry Ale. How long should i keep it at 20psi for??
If it's for a week or two don't use 20 psi, just set it to 8-9 psi.  That'll get you 2.4-2.5 volumes of CO2 in the beer at 34F.  You could go with 20 psi for shorter, but you risk over carbonating the beer.  Since you're not in a rush, I think the lower pressure is the way to go.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:18:50 am »
Sorry for the late response but yes at least 9psi for 2.5volumes of CO2 at 34F should be plenty.

If you find you want more or less just adjust the CO2 pressure accordingly.
Ron Price

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:02:30 pm »
So 9psi? Then how restaurants keep kegs at 18-22psi? Shouldn't this carbonate the kegs even more? Or do 1/2 barrels take more then 1/6 barrels?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:01 pm »
It is entirely independent of volume, but you are controlling temperature, pressure and volumes of CO2 in the beer.   A keg at 34F and 9 psi gets about 2.5 volumes of CO2.  Same keg at 45F needs 15 psi to get about 2.5 volumes of CO2.  Switch it to American Lager where you might want 3 volumes of CO2, and at 45F you need 21 psi.

Google carbonation chart and you can find one to your liking.  You decide what temp you want, and how much CO2 in the beer, then find the psi setting for that keg.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:08:41 am »
I pressuized the keg to 10psi, and tossed in my walk in cooler at 34-36F.....I'll have a beer on Friday!!

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:32 am »
As Drew mentioned above, the keg will need to be hooked up to the CO2 the whole time.  I find that it takes about a week of holding the keg at a constant pressure and a constant temp to get it to carbonate.  If you put it into a 34F fridge today and attach it to a CO2 tank with the regulator set at 10PSI, then you should have carbonated beer next Thursday.  Unless of course, you have a CO2 leak.  In that case, you'll have an empty CO2 tank and flat beer.  Oh, you can also leave a leaky cobra faucet attached and have a floor full of beer.  For the most part, kegging has been great, but I have learned a lot of lessons the hard way over the years.  That said I'll never go back to bottling.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:40:00 am »
So I'm going to be putting it in a 5gallon keg, going to pressurize at 20psi, and let it self carbonate. No priming sugar....

Will this work?

I didn't reply to this thread earlier because I sugar prime my kegs now. But, it appears to me that you're not properly set up to carbonate via the above method? Why not save the headache and potential hassle and give sugar priming a try? Just throwing this out there...

Sugar-priming has been the easiest and most reliable approach for me and quite frankly I don't see any difference in clarity if this is what concerns you.

Black Cherry ale sounds interesting.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »
So I've attached my CO2 to my 5gallon keg, tossed it in my walk-cooler (I own a restaurant) and I will let it sit for a week. I was reading this article:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/03/01/kegging-beer-natural-vs-forced-conditioning/

It told me to bring it to pressure, then release the CO2 tank. Maybe the article assumes I will pressurized at 20psi? If I increase the psi, will it carbonate faster?

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/03/01/kegging-beer-natural-vs-forced-conditioning/

It told me to bring it to pressure, then release the CO2 tank. Maybe the article assumes I will pressurized at 20psi? If I increase the psi, will it carbonate faster?

I believe the article is assuming you will pressurize at 20psi.  Not sure it will carbonate faster since I do the corn sugar method and hit the keg with a little CO2 to seat the lid.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR