Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unibroue water profile?  (Read 864 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
Unibroue water profile?
« on: August 25, 2019, 11:08:32 am »
Anyone have straight info on how amended the water from Chambly is before being brewed by Unibroue?  I found info as of 2016, for water in Chambly, but I know that doesnt really mean anything, as the brewery would undoubtedly be filtering and amending it.  Looking for help here in determining how to build up my RO water to be good for Unibroue clone beers.  Id like to try my hand at reproducing things like the Trader Joe's Providential Ale, La Fin, Eau Benite, etc. 

Chambly QC Canada 2016-10-11
Ca+2   Mg+2   Na+   Cl-   SO4-2   Alkalinity   pH
19   5   12   16   7   58 (HCO3)   7.3

Or would it just be easier to amend the water toward the Belgian Tripel style? 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:14:39 am by KCguy »
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Unibroue water profile?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 11:47:40 am »
It's a fool's errand to use a water profile from a city.  It's almost certain thayy the brewer treats is in some way.  Use a color/flavor based profile.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:09:41 pm »
Agreed.  Was hoping someone would have info on unibroue...I know they released a yeast at one time, but nothing since...
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 03:28:14 pm »
Agreed.  Was hoping someone would have info on unibroue...I know they released a yeast at one time, but nothing since...

WY3864.  It was available not too long ago...might still be.  For water, I'd go with the yellow balanced profile in Bru'nwater.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:40:45 pm »
That is an interesting finding on the water quality in Chambly, QC. However, the only thing its likely to tell you is that is the minimum content that they use to brew their beers. I expect that they are probably adding a bit more for flavoring purposes.

By the way, Blanche de Chambly is the finest Wit that you'll ever taste. Notably better than Hoegarden.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 07:06:31 pm »

That is an interesting finding on the water quality in Chambly, QC. However, the only thing its likely to tell you is that is the minimum content that they use to brew their beers. I expect that they are probably adding a bit more for flavoring purposes.

By the way, Blanche de Chambly is the finest Wit that you'll ever taste. Notably better than Hoegarden.

Hoegaarden under Pieter Celis was a sublime beer.  Celis White under Pieter Celis was too.  No Pieter, no good.  I've never tried Chambly, I guess I should.  Maybe Pieter isn't a prerequisite!  BTW if I like one of these beers, it's saying something, as, being genetically cilantro  averse, I have a lesser distaste for coriander as well.  But it can be compensated for by other outstanding qualities. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.