Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Related Research  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Aar0nCM

• 1st Kit
Brewing Related Research
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:01 am »
Howdy,

I'm a Biological and Agricultural Engineering student and I'm trying to do brewing related research (getting to brew in a lab and say I'm being productive  ;)). The problem is that there are many topics to research and I need to choose one. With my engineering discipline, I could choose to research just about anything (from brewing techniques/processes, equipment functions, ingredients, waste/energy, packaging, yeast, etc). I would like to hear any ideas or if anyone knows problems in the brewing industry that we could recreate and research in a lab. I'm mostly interested in the aspects of food engineering and microbiology but any topic suggestions will help.

Thanks!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Brewing Related Research
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:22:06 am »
I would be interested in knowing how long a beer (post fermentation) is exposed to oxygen before it is oxidized.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:49:00 pm »
Spent grain is a significant waste stream for craft breweries.  Generally, they don't produce enough spent grain for it to be hauled off to be fed to cattle before it gets really stinky.  Is there a good way to use spent grain that scales down to small breweries?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:51:59 pm »
Spent grain is a significant waste stream for craft breweries.  Generally, they don't produce enough spent grain for it to be hauled off to be fed to cattle before it gets really stinky.  Is there a good way to use spent grain that scales down to small breweries?

For my own edification, would you define small?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:49:09 pm »

Yes, by small I mean 15 bbl brewhouse or smaller so let's say making 3 batches a week ... round up, 50bbl/week.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:16:46 pm »

Yes, by small I mean 15 bbl brewhouse or smaller so let's say making 3 batches a week ... round up, 50bbl/week.

Some small ones by me have friendly farmers they coordinate with.

Bell's has a guy who brokers spent grain to 8 or so dairy farmers.

Random thought. Dairy farmers are going out of business at s rapid pace. In Lelenau County in MI there were 14 a while back, now there is one. The cheese maker there scaled back distribution due to lack of milk. A good study would be what to do with spent grain when there are no local dairy farms. Alaskan brewing dries it, then fuels a boiler with it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:48:18 am »

In that case, I know of more than a few small breweries supplying spent grain to farmers
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 08:24:52 am »

In that case, I know of more than a few small breweries supplying spent grain to farmers
Not a small brewery, but I understand  that Great Lakes (besides making some spent grain bread) supplies spent grains to contracted organic farmers, who use it as mulch, the produce then returning to the brewery restaurant in a nice sort of cycle.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 08:49:07 am »
   I have to disagree with Kramerog's statement, almost all of the smaller breweries I'm familiar with have it picked up by cattle growers for feed. The only one I can think of that throws the grain away does so because there are no stockgrowers nearby, and the small town where they are located has no municipal recycling/composting program.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 09:14:24 am »
Every small brewery in my area collects the spent grain in plastic drums and has a farmer pick it up.  Some of them trade for farm products (beef, pork) during the year.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 10:12:21 am »
I have been told that in some areas, the brewers actually put it out to the highest bidder.  They require scheduled pickups that are based on brewing schedules, so that it is taken away fresh.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »
In places that aren't all that close to farm animals, like Chicago, spent grain is largely going to waste, at best being composted. 

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 07:21:21 pm »

I worked at what you would call a small brewery from 2012 to 2015 (20 bbl rig). We sent all of our spent grain to cattle ranchers in East Texas, and they showed up to get it on time. I asked one how it worked out and he said his cattle were fat and happy. So there's that.

If the majors don't do it then to hell with them.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 07:52:00 pm »

If the majors don't do it then to hell with them.

The majors are far more likely to have an efficient way of dealing with this waste stream.  They need to pinch every penny, and so can afford a significant upfront capital investment in spent grain dewatering, handling, and transport infrastructure, and are in a position to make contracts attractive to large cattle  and feed operations.  The challenge is naturally greater for a small brewery shoveling spent grain into a Brute.  Your former employer was fortunate.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:49 am »
In places that aren't all that close to farm animals, like Chicago, spent grain is largely going to waste, at best being composted. 

which is weird because here in Los Angeles, almost all of the brewers I know are sending their grains out for feed.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison