Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 80 - Chill Out Or Don't  (Read 1130 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brew Files Podcast Ep. 80 - Chill Out Or Don't
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:23:26 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-80-chill-out-or-dont

Since travelling to Australia last year and witnessing the ubiquity of no chill brewing, Drew decided to get over his objections and see if you really can skip the chilling step when brewing at a home level. In this episode Denny and Drew breakdown the benefits, the objections and Drew's experiences brewing the no chill way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 80 - Chill Out Or Don't
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:43 pm »
Happy to answer any questions folks have after listening to this episode - after our previous discussions - there are probably some strong opinions out there. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:01 pm »
I stand by my original statement:

I have no problem using any vessel to complete the cooling overnight before pitching yeast. Evidently, overnight doesn’t give the bacteria enough time to ruin a batch. Been there done that many times.

I have no problem using a canning jar to allow liquid to cool on a countertop creating a vacuum seal. They were designed for that. Again, I’ve done it many times.

I do have a problem using a keg to place hot boiling wort in, allow it to cool by any means, and remain in that keg for a week or more, and then pitching yeast. I just don’t think it’s a safe practice and I’m frankly shocked to hear such an esteemed home brewer as Denny saying this.

To each his own. I wish anyone who does it nothing but continued good luck in this practice. However, I do not recommend it.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:41:20 pm »
Next, how about no boil or short boil?  Since NEIPAs and many wheats are supposed to be cloudy why do a full boil?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 04:28:29 pm »
Perhaps I missed this in the podcast.  How close to room temp did the wort get after 10 or 12 hours?  What did you do to get to pitch temp?

I think I am most likely to try this in the summer when my water temp gets up to 67F.  I might try on a kveik since it can be pitched hot.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 04:42:56 pm »
Next, how about no boil or short boil?  Since NEIPAs and many wheats are supposed to be cloudy why do a full boil?

I can already speak to short boil.  I do 3 gal. BIAB with a 20 min. mash and 20 min. boil.  No problem.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:43:41 pm »
Perhaps I missed this in the podcast.  How close to room temp did the wort get after 10 or 12 hours?  What did you do to get to pitch temp?

I think I am most likely to try this in the summer when my water temp gets up to 67F.  I might try on a kveik since it can be pitched hot.

Drew would be the one with that info.  If he doesn't see this I'll ping him.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 05:01:10 pm »
When Ihave done this in the  past, I tend to finish at around 4-5 PM and then pitch at 7-8AM. By that point it's at ambient temps.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »
Thanks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Meeks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 09:39:51 am »
Is there a reason to not just transfer directly to the fermenting vessel and pitch to it once cool? Stainless, not glass or plastic.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:54:32 am »
Is there a reason to not just transfer directly to the fermenting vessel and pitch to it once cool? Stainless, not glass or plastic.

As long as your SS vessel can take the heat and not suck in air, seems like that would be OK.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 04:59:03 pm »
I listened to the podcast.  Very helpful, thanks.  I do no chill in the winter because I brew in an unheated garage in a USDA zone 4 climate.  I usually just put the lid on the brew kettle at flame out and put a couple of bricks on the lid to keep the cats at bay  and leave it too cool overnight.  Seems like it’s worked ok.