Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barley Crusher in today!  (Read 6505 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Barley Crusher in today!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 05:17:26 pm »
It helps to run the drill at full speed/high speed before slowly adding the grains to the hopper.

In other words, it will be a lot easier on you and your drill if you don't load all of the grains into the hopper and try to start the rollers.  That requires a LOT of torque.

Instead, just have an assistant hold your drill and BC and get the rollers running fast before you slowly pour the grains into the hopper.  I try to have no more than a half inch of grains in the hopper (just enough to cover the rollers).  If you're getting a lot of jams (roller stops), either the drill speed is too low (or not enough torque) or the mill gap is too narrow.

The narrow mill gap was probably my situation on the last two batches (I got great efficiencies, but horribly long lauters).  I've since widened the gap a little more (grist was too finely crushed, IMO, on the last two batches).

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 05:35:09 pm »
It helps to run the drill at full speed/high speed before slowly adding the grains to the hopper.

In other words, it will be a lot easier on you and your drill if you don't load all of the grains into the hopper and try to start the rollers.  That requires a LOT of torque.

Instead, just have an assistant hold your drill and BC and get the rollers running fast before you slowly pour the grains into the hopper.  I try to have no more than a half inch of grains in the hopper (just enough to cover the rollers).  If you're getting a lot of jams (roller stops), either the drill speed is too low (or not enough torque) or the mill gap is too narrow.

The narrow mill gap was probably my situation on the last two batches (I got great efficiencies, but horribly long lauters).  I've since widened the gap a little more (grist was too finely crushed, IMO, on the last two batches).

I remember someone on this board who got a running go to crush some rye. Flipped his crusher and grain across the floor. Hmmm....wonder who that could have been? Wish I could have been there to see it. I would have bought him some new grain as payment. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 05:39:32 pm »
It wasn't me!  Though a video of that happening would make a great post here!

Offline gruversm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 05:51:17 pm »
What width does everyone gap their Barley Crusher?
Michiana Extract Grain Association (MEGA)
http://mega-brew.com

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 06:51:40 pm »
Hmm, I think I have a different solution for my mill.  Use a big-ass drill.  Needs a lot of torque?  Check. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 05:40:24 am »
What width does everyone gap their Barley Crusher?

I used mine at the factory setting of .039 for a while then adjusted it down to .030.  I only say a minor gain in efficiency, but I think I'll leave it there for now.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »
I set mine to .027" & condition my malt.
Seems to do a great job.
Just don't over-condition, or you'll end up with a gummed-up Barley Crusher, a broken hand crank & a burned out drill.
I'll never make that mistake, again.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »
I remember someone on this board who got a running go to crush some rye. Flipped his crusher and grain across the floor. Hmmm....wonder who that could have been? Wish I could have been there to see it. I would have bought him some new grain as payment. ;D ;D ;D ;D
I wasn't using rye, but I didn't have my hand holding the hopper to keep it from flipping. 

no that NEVER happened to me.   I recently acquired a bridge in NY, I'd be glad to part with . . . .
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline roartydh

• 1st Kit
Re: Barley Crusher in today! - GAP question
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:27 pm »
Not to change the subject, but, any advice on gap settings.  Got a fairly well used phils mill, lately been having target gravity issues and noticed whole grains after mash.  Seems dependent on humidity and grain type, but definitely a trend.  Double grinding seems to help.

It has adjustment only on one side and it is set to the min gap.

So, looking for some gap numbers to see if this baby just needs replaced.

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 09:08:50 am »
I've been having some issues with my BC not feeding grain through the rollers...seems that the slave roller was catching.  I could reach up under and give it a nudge then it would start crushing again.

Always been pretty conscious about using a brush to clean it off after every used but, to be honest, I've not lubricated the bushings or anything.  When I took it apart, there was a bunch of gunk that needed to be cleaned out which definitely was causing my problems.  This weekend will be the first run with the cleaned and lubricated BC so I have high hopes of going back to trouble free milling.