Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post fermentation additions?@5  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
Post fermentation additions?@5
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:58:12 pm »
I was recently chatting with a local breweries owner/brewer and we were discussing flavoring in beer. Specifically flavors like marshmallow and honey that are pure fermentable sugar. 

He told me the ideal way is post fermentation flavoring. Essentially mixing all the flavors together and adding them after fermentation is complete.

Has anyone tried this?
Would it essentially be in the cold crashing stage?
Or would it more be adding those in place of the carving sugars?
I'd love to try it but don't want to risk the bottle bombs. Any advice would be welcomed and loved.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Post fermentation additions?@5
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:44:48 am »
Adding them after the primary fermentation is complete would, most likely, preserve more of the subtle flavors.  Doing so would also restart fermentation so I would wait to bottle until the new sugars were consumed by the yeast.

The flavors of honey are difficult to keep in your beer.  If boiled they volatilize out. Added during the primary fermentation they can get carried out with the CO2. 

Honey can be used as carbing sugar.  Marshmallow? I have no idea how that would work.  I vaguely remember an article in Zymurgy or BYO recently on different sugars for carbing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:39:14 am »
When you eat marshmallows, you're basically tasting vanilla.  Vanilla is a lot easier to work with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 07:18:37 am »
When you eat marshmallows, you're basically tasting vanilla.  Vanilla is a lot easier to work with.

Yes.  And not real vanilla either but rather the "fake" Mexican vanilla, which smells and tastes particularly marshmallowy.

For honey, you're best off using a combination of real honey and also Canadian Gambrinus Honey Malt as part of the grist, say about 5% of the total grist, or even a tad more if you want it stronger.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:18:26 am »
The brewery I was talking with had done a honey fig beer both added in post.
And a marshmallow chocolate and they used fluff post fermentation.

That's why I was curious.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:43 am »

For honey, you're best off using a combination of real honey and also Canadian Gambrinus Honey Malt as part of the grist, say about 5% of the total grist, or even a tad more if you want it stronger.

^^^^^ This.

I use Gambrinus Honey Malt in some of my brews and it adds a niche subtle honey flavor to the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 02:04:03 pm »
805 is one that uses Honey Malt.  I love that one.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"