Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long does it take for oxidation to occur?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
How long does it take for oxidation to occur?
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:05:54 am »
If I only fill a growler halfway six hours before a party, will my beer taste oxidized from the O2 that was in the top one-half of the growler?

Thanks
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How long does it take for oxidation to occur?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:15:20 am »
Not in my experience
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:58:01 am »
I think a larger concern may be loss of carbonation.  With all the available headspace, the beer will continue to lose carbonation until the pressure balances out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:06:06 am »
I think a larger concern may be loss of carbonation.  With all the available headspace, the beer will continue to lose carbonation until the pressure balances out.

But the CO2 will remain in the beer until opened, won't it?  I assume a half growler at a party will be gone before it can lose carb.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:15:12 am »

But the CO2 will remain in the beer until opened, won't it?  I assume a half growler at a party will be gone before it can lose carb.

Some definitely will.  But won't the CO2 in the beer dissipate until the headspace of the growler is at the same pressure as the beer itself?  I actually don't know if this will be a considerable amount or not.  Just meant it would be a larger concern for me than oxidation.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 06:45:06 pm »

Some definitely will.  But won't the CO2 in the beer dissipate until the headspace of the growler is at the same pressure as the beer itself?  I actually don't know if this will be a considerable amount or not.  Just meant it would be a larger concern for me than oxidation.
Your beer requires 11-12 PSIG to hold propose carbonation in the fridge. When you fill a growler the headspace will be at 0 PSIG. Presumably you will put it back in the fridge with a closed lid for 6 hours. During that time the carbonation in the beer will escape into the headspace and try to reach equilibrium. But, practically speaking this process takes hours.

This weekend I bottled beer from the keg. The last bottle was only half full when the keg kicked. I capped it and left it to drink that night. I bottled at 7:30am and came back to drink it that evening. It was noticeably less carbonated than normal but it was still “half” carbonated and it drank fine.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
Take a full growler?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women