Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer  (Read 2433 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Northern Brewer
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 05:44:13 am »
Here is the response from NB. Very generous.

“We really appreciate your order and completely understand how we have made you doubt us as a future supplier.

The really bad news is that there were two different errors in your order.   The missing grain was likely left out of the order during fulfillment, while the hops issue was in our packaging department. 

We repackage our hops to control freshness.   They stay in the freezer, in sealed bulk packaging, from the supplier.   This allows us to know exactly how the hops were handled before being shipped to you.  Great ingredients make great beer.  We do calibrate our scales regularly but I am going to bump this to the operations team to make sure they do it again, as this is concerning.   

It is always a good idea to weigh pre-packaged ingredients.  We do allow for variances but try to make sure it is only in excess.   We use grams when measuring so often times there is 29-30 grams in a package versus the 28.35 g that equals an ounce.  A couple of pellets is all it takes to swing that and while you might not notice it in a batch, if consistency is your brewing goal, measuring on your own is a great practice to help that.

All that said, I am going to suggest a resolution and hopefully have you give us another shot.   I see that you ordered 3 ounces of the East Kent Goldings and a few other hops as well.  Were the other 8 ounces on the order over the one-ounce mark?
I was thinking I would offer a $50 gift card, so we can cover all (or most) of your next recipe order.   Would that be fair?  Our goal here is to help you make awesome beer, if you have concerns about the two short hop packs affecting this batch, I would be happy to replace those as well.

My apologies for trouble with this order and I look forward to getting this resolved for you.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 06:04:12 am »
Dang! Dwain,  you’re gonna put them out of business! ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:06 am »
Dang! Dwain,  you’re gonna put them out of business! ;)

Hahahaha! I've always found the folks at NB to be fair, even when they were owned by Bud. Tommy, thanks for reminding me about Hop Heaven I had forgotten about Ted! I used to buy YHs hops from him in the beginning. They were incredible hops just I couldn't afford them for large application brewing.

We have gotten repackaged products from Country Malt (50 and 55 lbs sacks) that were 4-6 pounds light so this happens. I have seen 11 lb hop bags weigh in at 10.76ish more times than I care to count.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 06:50:25 am »
Just looked at Hop Heaven's ebay store. I do wish he would update his packaging to mylar. He had said years ago that he was planning on it.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 07:14:55 am »
Hop Heaven is for sure the way to go.  Generous weights aside, I have found nobody can equal the freshness of Hop Heaven.  I buy in one pound increments and it's always an especially good day when I open a pound bag for the first time.  Oh the smell, enough to make my mouth water.  I prefer whole cone hops and HH has an amazing assortment of domestic and imports.  My imports from the pre-season order should arrive any day now.  I buy enough for the entire year so I'm certain to have what I need when I need it.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 07:45:08 am »
That was a good response to a customer. I have been looking at their grains, as they have some not carried by AiH.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 08:07:51 am »
Northern Brewer also sells full bags of grain with free shipping.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 10:31:31 am »
I have been using NB lately to order Mecca Grade Malts. They have always been fast and offer a great variety. They once messed up my order about 8 years ago and they quickly sent a replacement and a $20 gift card. I have never ordered hops from them, but I have always been happy with their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 10:48:26 am »
Looks like Label Peeler’s is having a hop sale:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 10:55:40 am »

I can probably get you and Daryl sacks of grain from STA for like 35-40 a piece if you preorder.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 03:24:42 pm »
  I ordered from NB for the 1st time the other day, unfortunately they and Midwest are the only places I've found crystal rye malt.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:44 pm »

I can probably get you and Daryl sacks of grain from STA for like 35-40 a piece if you preorder.
Thanks! It’ll be a while. I bought two bags as part of a Green Bus group buy this summer. I still have a ways to go. 2.5 gallon batches...

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 09:45:58 am »
I just used NB for the first time in probably 6-8 years.  I bought a case of the small Belgian bottles and a bag of Euro caps.  Arrived in about 5 days, plus the price w free freight couldn't be beat.  I normally support the local, but these they didn't have.  I'll use them again I'm sure.
Jeff B