Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer  (Read 2434 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Northern Brewer
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:18:56 am »
I haven’t used NB in a while, and given the recent changes in mgmt, I thought I’d give em another shot.

The website has always been easy to use, the selection is outstanding, and the free shipping is attractive but it took 14 daze to receive my package. Upon inspection, two pounds of the grain I ordered was not included. After contacting them, they sent another package. The two pounds of grain showed up in four daze or so.

However, I just sent this note to them concerning today’s brewday:

“I recently ordered two oz of East Kent Goldings from you. When I weighed the contents of the packages neither were a full oz.

I realize scales can be off so I checked the qty on three different scales and the heaviest of either package on any scale was .9 oz.

I also realize .1 + oz light per package in a 5 gal batch will probably be undetectable, but the fact remains that I believe I did not get what I paid for: two full oz of hops.

Given the fact that my order was short two pounds of grain that you had to resolve and now to find out it was also light makes me begin to rethink using Northern Brewer in the future.”

We’ll see how they resolve this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

narvin

Re: Northern Brewer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:51:31 am »
So they repackage their hops?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:13:33 am »
Yes. They repack grains, too. I didn’t check the weight on the grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 10:44:00 am »

AFAIK, most do repackage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 10:46:37 am »

As far as I have experienced, most don't.  All of the LHBS around here, as well as Morebeer, have the prepackaged bags now in 1oz and 1 pound.  I'd rather not have an intermediary repacking with what is likely not as good oxygen purging practices.

Edit: Actually not sure about MoreBeer, I thought I had thrown a few ounces of hops on a recent order but it looks like I didn't.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:09:37 am by narvin »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:22:12 am »

As far as I have experienced, most don't.  All of the LHBS around here, as well as Morebeer, have the prepackaged bags now in 1oz and 1 pound.  I'd rather not have an intermediary repacking with what is likely not as good oxygen purging practices.

Edit: Actually not sure about MoreBeer, I thought I had thrown a few ounces of hops on a recent order but it looks like I didn't.

Interesting. Both HBS here buy in bulk and repackage.  So does Brewcraft on a larger scale.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:43:10 am »

Interesting. Both HBS here buy in bulk and repackage.  So does Brewcraft on a larger scale.

It probably does save money for bigger stores.  Not a deal breaker but if they're shorting you 10% that's no good.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:16 am »
I haven't had any issues like you describe, yet.  The thing that has been bugging me is the shipping timeframe.  I submitted an order of 4 items that are prepackaged and should just be packed and shipped on Monday.  It wasn't shipped until last night.  Three days to ship an order in this day and age? 

I will admit the package is supposed to arrive today and that I don't have an urgent need for the items but the delay seems odd.  The last order was the same timeline.

I can understand waiting to ship liquid yeast until Monday if ordered on a Thursday or Friday (at least in the summer) because of hot trucks and all.  I don't really want to complain but other sites don't have built in shipping delays.  It would easier to understand if they stated it when you place the order.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 12:17:33 pm »
All of the hops I've gotten from MoreBeer were pre packaged and labeled by Artisan Hops, which is a MoreBeer trademark according to a search I recently did.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 12:19:33 pm »
All of the hops I've gotten from MoreBeer were pre packaged and labeled by Artisan Hops, which is a MoreBeer trademark according to a search I recently did.

Which says to me they buy in bulk and repackage.  It makes no economic sense to do otherwise.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 12:24:22 pm »
It probably does save money for bigger stores.  Not a deal breaker but if they're shorting you 10% that's no good.

+1. I can only hope the shortage was unintentional and not a routine practice.

It reminds me of the story JZ tells in BCS, ‘No Short Measure’.   Interestingly, I was brewing an ESB based on his recipe when I came across the ‘short measure’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 12:39:32 pm »

Which says to me they buy in bulk and repackage.  It makes no economic sense to do otherwise.

It all really depends what the markup is by the distributor.  It's not like the grocery store is buying 55 lb bags of M&Ms and breaking them down into ziplock bags for resale.  The big hop companies are already taking their bulk product and packaging it in 1 or 2 oz bags for the consumer, and depending on their volume it just might not be worth their time and effort for the store to do it themselves.  For MoreBeer I'm sure it is, for other stores maybe not.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:41:19 pm by narvin »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 01:02:57 pm »

It all really depends what the markup is by the distributor.  It's not like the grocery store is buying 55 lb bags of M&Ms and breaking them down into ziplock bags for resale.  The big hop companies are already taking their bulk product and packaging it in 1 or 2 oz bags for the consumer, and depending on their volume it just might not be worth their time and effort for the store to do it themselves.  For MoreBeer I'm sure it is, for other stores maybe not.
This is one thing that my local store does that I don't like.  They buy in bulk and then weigh and package into one ounce mylar sealed packages, which are put into the refrigerator.  They look as if they're well cared for.  The problem is that the bulk hop bag is then not particularly well sealed and stuck back into another fridge.  No marking is evident for the harvest year and I suspect the bulk bags are getting oxidized.
So I have been buying by the pound from Hop Heaven and keeping the packages vacuum sealed and in my own freezer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 04:19:45 pm »
I agree jeffy. The only time I don't buy pound packages is if it's a hop I seldom use. Most everything else I get from Yakima Valley Hops. I have bought pound packages from MoreBeer when I overlooked including a variety in my YVH order and need some quick.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:29:42 pm »

This is one thing that my local store does that I don't like.  They buy in bulk and then weigh and package into one ounce mylar sealed packages, which are put into the refrigerator.  They look as if they're well cared for.  The problem is that the bulk hop bag is then not particularly well sealed and stuck back into another fridge.  No marking is evident for the harvest year and I suspect the bulk bags are getting oxidized.
So I have been buying by the pound from Hop Heaven and keeping the packages vacuum sealed and in my own freezer.
I think the lesson here is to buy your hops from Hop Heaven. I really believe they taste better and the packs are definitely not under weight.