Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ginger  (Read 10196 times)

Offline schristian619

• 1st Kit
Re: Ginger
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:41 am »
I recently made a blonde ale with ginger.  I used fresh ginger root, peeled it and sliced it.  I added .5oz to the last 5 mins of the boil.  It turned out not to be enough for what I was going for, but not bad.  Funny thing was, at first you couldn't even tell it was there.  But after a couple months in the keg, the ginger started to come out and become quite nice.  I'll brew it again next summer and use an ounce or so in the boil.  Also thinking of making it a ginger kolsch instead of a blonde.

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 10:10:54 am »
I've used around 1 oz. of grated fresh ginger root at around 15 or 20 min. several times with good results.  I like it especially to counterbalance a heavy bodied beer, like a stout.  I've also had good results when used with around 1 - 2 oz. of lime juice.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:04 am »
Fresh, Candied Ginger:

Fresh ginger root from the produce section.
Peel it with a spoon or grater.
Slice med-thin (resembles kettle-style potato chips)
Cook in water for 20 min or so.
Pour off water (removes a lot of the harshness and moderates the spiciness/heat)
Add sugar.
Add a little water back to help dissolve the sugar
Cook on low heat for 20 min or so.  Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.

Place the candied ginger in a nylon mesh bag.
Place the bag in the boil kettle for the last 15 minutes of the boil for flavor.
Great in a Saison.  Flavor was gentle, subtle.  Peppery heat seemed to come from the yeast, not the ginger.

Nice! I may have to try this myself. I imagine you lose some of the intensity of the ginger flavor by candying it?

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 09:51:28 am »
Randy Mosher points this out in Radical Brewing that candied ginger is 'milder and purer-tasting than fresh' ginger, obviously no experience myself.

My experience has shown that spice will dramatically increase with age. I brewed a Wit that whose coriander was not noticeable for first month or two, was perfect IMO between 3-4 months, and now is a little over spiced 5-6 months in.

Looks like this is my recipe, appreciate any thoughts:
8 lbs Lager Malt
6 oz Crystal - 20L
1 oz Saaz (60 min)
1 oz Candied Ginger (5 mins)
1 tube of White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast

Mash will be a single infusion at 153-154 degrees to leave some residual dextrins (to add body and keep alcohol low).

I was originally thinking of force carbonating, but an considering adding some dry champagne yeast for bottling/kegging to get a little effervescence and a little extra carbonation. 

I switched to an ale yeast because my second fridge wasn't delivered as scheduled and is probably going to be a few more weeks and my fridge is full of kegs with two beers that need to get cold conditioned still prior to Oktoberfest. Time to grab a beer I guess!...
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:30 am »
That looks pretty good. Hopefully this one will age a little more gracefully! ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:01 am »
I like an ounce or less of fresh grated ginger for about a 20 min. boil.  I think it's best used in a malty, slightly sweet beer.  For example, some IPAs I've had have too much of a sweet aftertaste I don't like.  This is in spite of very high hop bittering.  Just a bit of ginger seems to counteract this, and balance things out.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:26 am »
I brew a lighter ale (SG:1.040) with 1/2 oz of candied ginger added to the boil for the last 12 minutes. I had a little Crystal 10L and a little Cara-pils (1/4lb or so each) if I can remember correctly.

I think it's great and I have received a ton of requests, mostly from non-beergeek types for more. 

I am going to bump it up to SG:1.060 for the next batch but I'll probably only go a little bit higher on the ginger, too much would be way too much IMO.  Actually I think I am going to do a double bath and water 1/2 down to 1.040, it was a really nice lighter session beer to have on tap.

EDIT:  I just checked my notes and I was wrong, I used dry ginger root.  I am brewing a batch right now with candied ginger and am going to up it to account for the sugar.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:11:34 am by abraxas »

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
Fresh, Candied Ginger:

Fresh ginger root from the produce section.
Peel it with a spoon or grater.
Slice med-thin (resembles kettle-style potato chips)
Cook in water for 20 min or so.
Pour off water (removes a lot of the harshness and moderates the spiciness/heat)
Add sugar.
Add a little water back to help dissolve the sugar
Cook on low heat for 20 min or so.  Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.

Place the candied ginger in a nylon mesh bag.
Place the bag in the boil kettle for the last 15 minutes of the boil for flavor.
Great in a Saison.  Flavor was gentle, subtle.  Peppery heat seemed to come from the yeast, not the ginger.

Nice! I may have to try this myself. I imagine you lose some of the intensity of the ginger flavor by candying it?

I've brewed a saison with ginger two different ways (I much peferred the second, so do many within my HBC):
1.)  Store-bought candied ginger (harsh, very peppery, noticeable heat-minimal flavor)
http://www.gingerpeople.com/crystallized-ginger/organic-crystallized-ginger-1.html,
even after using it in the BK for 15 minutes and removing it after IC and transfer was complete, the individual cubes were practically too spicy hot to eat.  My mouth was on fire!  I knew my beer was going to be super spicy, and it was.
and
2.) Using the above recipe (which learned from a professional local brewmaster when we upscaled my recipe on his 7 barrel system).
You could retain more flavor (and spicy heat) if you used less water in the boil (and shorter boil times).
Doing it this way makes the ginger more subtle and flavorful with not as much spicy heat--itblends well with the saison, lends complexity, and does not overwhelm the malt and yeast profiles.  The candied sugar just means just a little more fermentables (and more alcohol).

My (sneaky) saison runs 8.5% ABV.  But, the alchohol is practically undetectable.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 04:28:06 am »
Don't get me wrong, I like the candied idea and I am going to try it but I grate store bought ginger and add it the last 5 minutes and I don't get any heat. The ginger is very subtly in the back ground and it works well. I am going to try the candied ginger idea though - sounds like it may give a better flavor.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:04 am »
Clarification regarding making candied ginger:  when I say that one can retain more spicy heat and ginger flavor by "using less water in the boil" I mean the amount of water one adds when making/boiling the candied ginger in the skillet.

If sliced or grated, the candied ginger is ideally added to a fresh nylon hop bag and added to the boil kettle for whatever duration you desire.  This makes removal easy--especially if you have pumps or big mechanical systems.  Since my store-bought candied ginger were diced cubes, I just tossed them in and left them in the BK (they sink to the bottom) as I racked off to the fermenter.

Enjoy!

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:01 am »
Do you make the candied ginger in advance of your brewing day or have you found that freshly made candied ginger is the way to go?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 06:34:07 am »
I prefer having all supplies and ingredients ready beforehand.  Make it the day before, store in an airtight, inert container, and chill in the refrigerator so it is ready to go on brew day.  It'll look like a syrupy marinade all over your ginger slices.  It won't be dried ginger cubes or slices like the store-bought variety.

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »
my only experience with this beloved and mysterious root is using it in accordance with orange zest.
   -20 grams of ginger root
   -30 grams of orange zest
(both freshly grated and organic,  and both at flameout)
both beer geeks and 'other folk' are delighted when i bring this around.

Offline popshops

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 04:27:12 pm »
I made a porter in which I used 2 cups of grated frresh ginger. It had ginger flavor aftertaste, but not as strong as I wanted. I would like to make a very strong, spicy ginger ale - thinking of using a rye/IPA base. I'm tempted to use ~ 1 pound of ginger. I just saw a mead recipe in zymurgy using 2 pounds ginger. Any thoughts?

jaybeerman

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I like the candied idea and I am going to try it but I grate ginger and add it the last 5 minutes and I don't get any heat. The ginger is very subtly in the back ground and it works well.

This has been my experience as well; using 5 minute additions. 

The only other thing that I would add is that I prefer the flavor of peeled/skinned ginger.