Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer appetizer  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer appetizer
« on: March 19, 2020, 03:38:32 pm »
What beer would work best as an appetizer for a four course meal? Soup, salad, main course, and dessert?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer appetizer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 04:10:09 pm »
You're gonna need to give us more help!  What's the rest of the meal like?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 04:16:28 pm »
What kind of soup?
Main course?
Dessert?

Though it really shouldn't matter, who are you serving too?  Beer enthusiasts or just the general beer drinking public?

Can you only pick one style or can you serve one type with soup/salad and another with main/dessert?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »
You're gonna need to give us more help!  What's the rest of the meal like?
Soup is corn chowder made with American lager, salad with strawberry mead dressing, pizza made with brumalt pale mild in crust, and brownies made with stout.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:18:50 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:52 pm »
Though it really shouldn't matter, who are you serving too?  Beer enthusiasts or just the general beer drinking public?

Can you only pick one style or can you serve one type with soup/salad and another with main/dessert?
Beer enthusiasts.
Each course will have a different style.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:39:40 pm »
I recommend the beer used to make each course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 06:41:58 pm »
Soup - IPA or Marzen
Salad - Hefeweizen
Pizza - Kolsch (but just about anything works if it's plain pizza)
Brownies - Denny's Vanilla Bourbon Porter!

Just one opinion.

By the way, what time is dinner??

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:46 pm »
Soup - saison
Salad - a kriek
Pizza - American or Czech Dark Lager
Brownies - Baltic Porter

Just my 2 Lincoln’s
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 06:23:35 am »
My initial reaction is always that I would rather have wine or mead with a heavy meal followed by an amaro or whiskey because beer is so filling but I get the fun of it.
Corn Chowder: either a nice  Czech  or bopils with nice malt character and a crisp finish would complement the corn and creamy texture. If you have bacon in the chowder a nice choice would be a rauchbier. A west coast ipa would work as a counterpoint on the tastebuds.
Salad: Always the tricky pairing because nothing really pairs with vinegar. In this case you have a sweet element too. I guess I would go with the spirit of the course which is light and refreshing. If the dressing is on the sweet side a sour would work, if it’s more acidic a saison would be nice. Also, if the dressing is sweet definitely work in some bitter greens.
Pizza: A glass of duvel or a triple works here. I think people associate pizza with light lager but I actually think a single glass of a higher gravity beer replaces the more appropriate glass of Chianti better than a session beer. A double ipa or fruity neipa would work.
Brownie: People automatically go for the ultra heavy dark beer here. Don’t, people will be ready to puke by now. You want a counterpoint to the cloying sweetness that is a brownie, not more of the same. A cherry or raspberry sour is the correct answer here.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 07:58:47 am »
Great ideas for pairings, but that's not answering Steve's question.  What I got was that he wanted a beer that would be an appetizer.  I think somethimg flavorfull but light....maybe a saison?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 08:11:35 am »
Great ideas for pairings, but that's not answering Steve's question.  What I got was that he wanted a beer that would be an appetizer.  I think somethimg flavorfull but light....maybe a saison?

I think you missed Reply #4.

My initial reaction is always that I would rather have wine or mead with a heavy meal followed by an amaro or whiskey because beer is so filling but I get the fun of it.

Possibly they aren't overloading everyone with food and the beer won't be poured into a Viking style horn tankard??  :)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 08:25:05 am »
Kolsch as appetizer in those tall thin glasses.  Low alcohol is good for a beer dinner.  Subtlety of kolsch will get lost later. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 08:32:55 am »

I think you missed Reply #4.

Possibly they aren't overloading everyone with food and the beer won't be poured into a Viking style horn tankard??  :)

Nope, didn't miss it and it doesn't change my reply.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:33:40 am »
Kolsch as appetizer in those tall thin glasses.  Low alcohol is good for a beer dinner.  Subtlety of kolsch will get lost later.

Good suggestion. That's kinda the thinking behind my Saison suggestion.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 09:00:53 am »
I'd go with a pre pro pils to complement the corn chowder.
Saison or as someone mentioned Kriek with the salad.
Dunkel for the pizza.
For the dessert course serve a West Coast IPA to cut the sweetness.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995