Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Finings  (Read 2389 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Adding Finings
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 03:17:47 pm »
Late to the party. I picked up that idea from another brewer (Scherlinka?) and made several refinements to his approach.

Recently, Richard had a great idea on how to sanitize using the same approach: fill the keg with water, blow it out with CO2 and use the water elsewhere, then jumper a small amount of sanitizer into the purged keg and swirl it around and dump it. Keeps you from having to mix 5 gallons of sanitizer each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's a thought... I use the floating diptubes though and they won't pick up all the liquid from the bottom of the keg. Thus there in lies the problem for me...
Jesse

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 03:31:33 pm »
If you get clear beer into the fermentor then it's just a matter of letting the yeast finish, flocculate, drop and you again have clear beer. IMO kettle finings and settling time are the way to go.

I def get nice clear wort into the fermentor using a HERMS. I currently practice kettle finings and patiently wait for yeasties&beasties to drop out. My patience has basically run out and I also go through a lot of beer. Between my household and friends I can easily polish off a 5G keg in a week or less. I brew every 3-4 weeks, 15 gallons minimum and sometimes 25 gallons. I was using gelatin and adding to keg with the lid off but have since stopped that practice to eliminate O2 as much as I possibly can. I'm going to try out the advise of a few guys on this post using a carb cap and soda pressurized soda bottle.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 08:52:04 pm »
There's a thought... I use the floating diptubes though and they won't pick up all the liquid from the bottom of the keg. Thus there in lies the problem for me...

Trim the diptube on the keg gas post so it is flush with the inside of the keg. Then to get that last bit of water out flip the keg upside down so the gas post is the lowest point and use a spare gas QD to blow the remaining sanitizer out.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 07:16:04 am »

Trim the diptube on the keg gas post so it is flush with the inside of the keg. Then to get that last bit of water out flip the keg upside down so the gas post is the lowest point and use a spare gas QD to blow the remaining sanitizer out.
+1. I use floating dip tubes and this works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk