Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long will my grain last?  (Read 49373 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: How long will my grain last?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 12:39:02 pm »
You could make a Wee Weevil?   Ahhhh....extra protein!

Ron Price

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »
I actually had weevils at one time (gosh they suck) and threw the grain away before I knew better. Since then I separate the grain into gallon zips (4lbs ea) and then put those into other mice proof containers and store in the crawl space under the house. I have not had any additional bugs past that one experience and my thinking is if they ever do hatch it will probably not affect every zip. Back around 1999 we bought out a guys homebrewing stuff which is what started my accumulation of old grain. He said he hadn't brewed in 3-5 years and by now I may have used all his grains up, but there could be something lurking I haven't finished up.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
Pesky little devils....

Wheat weevils (Sitophilus granarius), also known as grain weevils or granary weevils, occur all over the world and are a common pest in many places. They can cause significant damage to harvested grains that are being stored and may drastically decrease yields. The females lay many eggs and the larvae eat the inside of the grain kernels.

Adult wheat weevils are about 3-5mm length with elongate snouts and chewing mouthparts.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »
Google tells me weevil eggs won't hatch below 48F, but even if you store your grain higher you can cut down on weevils if you package with oxygen scavengers
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »
I've also heard that if you can store in an airtight container where the normal atmosphere has been displaced by CO2, the eggs will not hatch. Have not tried it yet, though.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
Whether they hatch or not, the weevils will die pretty quickly with no O2.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 03:40:30 pm »
Right, but the point being that if you do it right away, you don't have dead adult weevils in your grain, just the eggs. You know, for those faint-hearted sissies who don't like eating (or brewing with) bugs.

Again, not personally tested because I haven't run into weevil problems yet.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 03:44:41 pm »
On the subject of Wheat weevils...

Female wheat weevils can lay between 36 and 254 eggs and usually one egg is deposited in each grain kernel.  All larval stages and the pupal stage occur within the grain.  The larvae feed inside the grain until pupation, after which they bore a hole out of the grain and emerge. They are rarely seen outside of the grain kernel.  The life cycle takes about 5 weeks in the summer, but may take up to 20 weeks in cooler temperatures.  Adults can live for up to 8 months after emerging.

Sanitation and inspection are the keys to prevent the infestation. Store grains in containers with tight lids in a refrigerator or a freezer and purchase in small quantities. If any suspicion has arisen, carefully examine the grains for adult insects or holes in the grain kernels. Another method is to immerse them in water. If they float to the surface, it is a good indication of infestation. Even if identified early, disposal may be the only effective solution.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:46:39 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »
Right, but the point being that if you do it right away, you don't have dead adult weevils in your grain, just the eggs. You know, for those faint-hearted sissies who don't like eating (or brewing with) bugs.

I get your point, but they'd be dead larva, not adults.  And really, it's just some extra protein, they might be delicious if done right.  Grasshoppers are great cooked over a bic lighter.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 04:39:13 pm »
Grasshoppers are great cooked over a bic lighter.

I'll keep that in mind should you ever invite me over for dinner.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 06:33:50 pm »
Incorrect - if store as described it will last at least a decade and perhaps more without any notable degradation in your final product.

+1, add a little Co2 before setting the lid and Bingo.  Another choice is mylar bags and oxygen absorbers and you'll get more than ten.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:39:08 pm by dean »

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 07:15:06 pm »

I get your point, but they'd be dead larva, not adults.  And really, it's just some extra protein, they might be delicious if done right.  Grasshoppers are great cooked over a bic lighter.

Larvae or unhatched eggs?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »
Incorrect - if store as described it will last at least a decade and perhaps more without any notable degradation in your final product.

+1, add a little Co2 before setting the lid and Bingo.  Another choice is mylar bags and oxygen absorbers and you'll get more than ten.  ;)

That's all she wrote.  :(

Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 10:36:34 pm »
Larvae or unhatched eggs?
It's tough to follow, but I thought we were talking about hatched eggs, so larva.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

beveragebob

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »
I've personally had some of my malts for over 10 years and they are fine. I bought a sack of Gambrinus Honey Malt back in '98. Kept it dry and sealed in a rubbermaid tote and it is fine. I had some 3 yo aromatic malt that when the weather got warmer, I started noticing mealys so, I dropped the temp to 0F in the chest freezer and kept the sack in there for over a week. Two months later stored in my hot garage in a rm tote in a sealed garbage bag with a twisty to close it and it is fine. Besides base malts, I've noticed over the years mealys LOVE 40L crystal and aromatic malt. I think the higher the glassiness of the malt the less likely they are to infiltrate. These are just my observations and I have not done any scientific research but, in my 17 years of brewing, that's what I've noticed.