Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch - Double Bock?  (Read 2567 times)

TXFlyGuy

Kolsch - Double Bock?
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:38:50 am »
Ok...call us crazy, but one of the brewing partners wants to make a double-bock type beer.

And, we have a very nice (fresh) Kolsch yeast slurry, maybe a quart or a little more.

This probably goes against all of the rules, but has anyone made a bock, but used an ale type (Kolsch) yeast? Is there any reason we should not attempt this?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Kolsch - Double Bock?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 07:01:38 am »
I say Go For It!  If I’ve learned anything from this crazy hobby, it’s: “The only real constant is change”.  Without experimenting, we would never have soooo many wonderful beer styles we currently enjoy!  Besides, if you have a slurry ready to go, you’ll certainly save a little money if you use it.  And, who knows, you and Bel Air Brewing May be on the cusp of the next beer craze!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 07:35:45 am »
Of course you can do this, however, using a Kolsch yeast (not sure which one you're using)will leave a more estery, fruity beer. I like my double bocks to be huge malty, rich beers that are clean with good attentuation. I think the key is getting good attentuation which makes the beer drinkable without any cloying sweetness.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:08:15 am »
To me, the flavor profiles are so far apart that I wouldn't be tempted to try it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 08:11:46 am »
To me, the flavor profiles are so far apart that I wouldn't be tempted to try it.

The goal is not to copy an existing beer profile. But to see what happens with this combination.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 08:14:00 am »
Of course you can do this, however, using a Kolsch yeast (not sure which one you're using)will leave a more estery, fruity beer. I like my double bocks to be huge malty, rich beers that are clean with good attentuation. I think the key is getting good attentuation which makes the beer drinkable without any cloying sweetness.

Wyeast Kolsch. We would ferment cold, probably below 56 F, maybe 50 F.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:15:02 am »

The goal is not to copy an existing beer profile. But to see what happens with this combination.

Well, then, go for it!  2565 in a beer like that doesn't sound good to me, but I'm not the one who's gonna drink it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 08:22:28 am »

Maybe you could do a split batch. Try one with the WY 2565 and another with a lager yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 08:36:54 am »

Maybe you could do a split batch. Try one with the WY 2565 and another with a lager yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or a clean ale yeast like 1007.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 10:36:11 am »
   Technically it won't be a doppelbock if brewed with an ale yeast, but call it what you like :-X.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:05 am »
Once again.....trying to please the wife of a brewing partner. And, use this very fresh Kolsch yeast slurry that is ready to go. She likes a Kolsch, but REALLY likes the Spaten Doppelbock beer.

Trying to find a happy medium. We are not looking to conform to any BJCP guidelines here.

When you make the rules, you can break the rules!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 12:18:29 pm »
Once again.....trying to please the wife of a brewing partner. And, use this very fresh Kolsch yeast slurry that is ready to go. She likes a Kolsch, but REALLY likes the Spaten Doppelbock beer.

Trying to find a happy medium. We are not looking to conform to any BJCP guidelines here.

To my taste imagination, I don't care for the combo of fruity/winey yeast and the heavy malt character of a dopplebock.  Which is not to say that others won't love it.

www.dennybrew.com

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 12:26:01 pm »

To my taste imagination, I don't care for the combo of fruity/winey yeast and the heavy malt character of a dopplebock.  Which is not to say that others won't love it.

Ok. The Kolsch we just brewed was pretty clean in profile. I would not call it fruity at all. But only had a 1/2 oz sample, and it is still aging.

How about an Amber Kolsch? Might that work?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 01:04:54 pm »

Ok. The Kolsch we just brewed was pretty clean in profile. I would not call it fruity at all. But only had a 1/2 oz sample, and it is still aging.

How about an Amber Kolsch? Might that work?

To my mind, that might be more successful.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 05:00:52 am »
FYI I have not had good luck fermenting higher gravity batches with kölsch yeast. The beers turned out ... odd. Almost "belgiany" with "tripel" like esters. Now, to be fair, I only tried it a few times but I personally did not care for the results.