Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch - Double Bock?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kolsch - Double Bock?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 05:53:43 am »
Will the Kölsch yeast ferment the maltotriose?  Most ale yeast do not, I believe.  But it’s only beer, so what the heck, give it a try....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 06:32:32 am »
FYI I have not had good luck fermenting higher gravity batches with kölsch yeast. The beers turned out ... odd. Almost "belgiany" with "tripel" like esters. Now, to be fair, I only tried it a few times but I personally did not care for the results.

Good info. We may have a change up in the yeast, or the grain. Wanted to use this fresh slurry, but not brewing another typical Kolsch.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 06:34:08 am »
To me, the flavor profiles are so far apart that I wouldn't be tempted to try it.

The goal is not to copy an existing beer profile. But to see what happens with this combination.

Bingo!. In my opinion, it will be what you make it.  If you don’t want the ester profile, ferment at a lower temperature.  Otherwise, ferment at a higher temperature and enjoy a malty fruit salad!  Either way, it’s your beer!!  I’m anxious to hear how it turned out!  Good luck! 👍🏼
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 08:01:43 am »
To me, the flavor profiles are so far apart that I wouldn't be tempted to try it.

The goal is not to copy an existing beer profile. But to see what happens with this combination.

Bingo!. In my opinion, it will be what you make it.  If you don’t want the ester profile, ferment at a lower temperature.  Otherwise, ferment at a higher temperature and enjoy a malty fruit salad!  Either way, it’s your beer!!  I’m anxious to hear how it turned out!  Good luck! 👍🏼

I get a lot of esters with 2565 even at lower temps.  But I have limited experience with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 08:29:01 am »
Looking at making a German Alt Beer. With the 2565. Wyeast recommends this yeast for this beer style.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 08:58:55 am »
Looking at making a German Alt Beer. With the 2565. Wyeast recommends this yeast for this beer style.

I would strongly disagree with them.  A really  clean yeast is better for alt IMO.  I prefer 1007.  I've even made award winning alts with 1056.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 09:26:42 am »

I would strongly disagree with them.  A really  clean yeast is better for alt IMO.  I prefer 1007.  I've even made award winning alts with 1056.

1056 has always been one of my favorites.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 09:42:46 am »

1056 has always been one of my favorites.

And it ferments cold, which is necessry for alt IMO.  Actually 34/70 might not be a bad choice, either.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 09:46:28 am »
   Technically it won't be a doppelbock if brewed with an ale yeast, but call it what you like :-X.

mocklebock?
Phoenix, AZ

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:23 pm »
Just made an Alt Zum Uerige homage with 34/70 a week ago Saturday.  Ready for racking and a little lagering in the corny.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 10:17:14 pm »

this, doubling is not so easy.

there's a reason why imperial pilsners (closest style i can imagine to a kolsch doubled) aren't so popular. Though I love a good one (s tier krampus) in winter. the delicate malt/pleasant hop floweriness will be lost at higher strength and it will be hard to estimate the balance between IBU and FG of a say 9% beer. it will end up like a strong maibock - alcohol

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 05:48:14 am »
You can do that but be open minded.  It will not be a dopple-bock.  As stated earlier kolsch yeast was bred to be estry.  and malty german lager is brewed to be all about the malt and malt expression by the yeast.  I have had loads of homebrew that was brewed to see what would happen and some of them were good and were brewed again.  Think about milkshake IPA, who would've put lactose in an IPA, what about NEIPA, 30% oats in a IPA grain bill crazy! rew it and see.   
Brew what you like & brew often.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 06:11:57 pm »
You can do that but be open minded.  It will not be a dopple-bock.  As stated earlier kolsch yeast was bred to be estry.  and malty german lager is brewed to be all about the malt and malt expression by the yeast.  I have had loads of homebrew that was brewed to see what would happen and some of them were good and were brewed again.  Think about milkshake IPA, who would've put lactose in an IPA, what about NEIPA, 30% oats in a IPA grain bill crazy! rew it and see.

Well...you never know. We were thinking a slightly higher gravity, dark Kolsch. But, we might modify our plans a bit.