Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Outside storage  (Read 1400 times)

Offline James Yuells

• 1st Kit
Outside storage
« on: April 30, 2020, 12:48:39 am »
I'd like to store my beer and beer brewing equipment in my garage but I'm afraid of the temperature fluctuations. Is this an issue?
hamster20017

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Outside storage
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 02:56:46 am »
I store all my ingredients and gear in a single walled, uninsulated garage from 1925 in an area where it's not uncommon to measure interior temps above 115°F in the summer. They've been fine. (The yeast and hops are kept cold, naturally)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:41:49 am »
It sounds like the OP is thinking of storing finished beer. You definitely want to make sure it doesn’t freeze. I assume you are talking bottles of finished beer or kegs that are on deck. I don’t think fluctuations matter too much once beer is fermented. If you do store ingredients you need rodent and light proof containers.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 06:08:11 am »
If you are talking finished beer I recommend cold/cool storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 06:20:06 am »
If you are talking finished beer I recommend cold/cool storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s what I do because I can, I am assuming that it’s an issue for the OP. While I have long heard that beer should be stored cold from start to finish I have bought beer stored at room temp countless times and not perceived a difference, except the few times I have unknowingly bought wildly out of date beer.
I think you are correct that they should do that if possible but I think if it’s just storing up to a few weeks until there is room in the fridge then I think it’s ok based on my experience.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 06:56:58 am »
If you’re talking finished homebrew then I think it’s best to keep it as cool/cold as possible. Unless you are pasteurizing your beer it needs to stay cool.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 09:07:05 am »
I think temperature fluctuations have been debunked as being bad for beer.  Having said that, keeping beer cold slows down oxidation of beer and reduces spoliage.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 09:22:35 am »
As part of a presentation on oxidation and spoiling I put together for my club I purchased a few varieties of commercial beers - pale ale & lager -  and stored some of each kind cold while keeping the others in my summertime garage (perhaps 80 degrees) for a week, then we did side-by-side tasting at our meeting. The result: very noticeable difference in the beers with the consensus being the beers stored warm were less desirable. That was a good demonstration for folks on how warm storage accelerates spoilage and degrades beer. I hesitate to buy beer from the package store that's sat for long at ambient temperature for the same reason - I'm often disappointed and pick up on unpleasant spoilage. Store the beer in a refrigerator in the garage if you need to use the garage. I can retain great flavor in my homebrew for months at 34 degrees. For grains and gear I use the garage with no issues encountered, liquid yeast and hops being the exception.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:24:27 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:45:36 am »
   To the best of my knowledge the 3 greatest controllable contributors to staling post packaging in order are temperature, agitation and light, assuming that there is no oxygen ingress.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 11:59:07 pm »
yeah, for finished beer - you want to keep things as cool as possible! The impact of temp on packaged beer is amazing. I've stored some commercial beers at 35°F for years after others have told me they should be done and they've been amazing still.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 11:42:40 am »
It's funny, my company posted an article on Facebook what not to store in the garage.  Propane tanks was one and I'm guilty of that.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 11:45:26 am »
It's funny, my company posted an article on Facebook what not to store in the garage.  Propane tanks was one and I'm guilty of that.

Yep! I store mine in the basement next to the hot water tank!!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 11:48:58 am »
Besides the one hooked up on the grill, where else would I store my propane tank except for the garage. Not gonna put it in the bedroom closet and putting out in the yard seems silly and like a possible invitation for theft

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 12:26:57 pm »
The article said if you get a leak, a spark could set a fire.  My garage is so drafty, propane isn't lingering waiting to be set on fire.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 01:05:12 pm »
Yep, low down on my list of worries regarding possible disasters waiting to happen in my cluttered garage.