Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will carbonation affect my FG?  (Read 954 times)

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Will carbonation affect my FG?
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:55:20 am »
To prevent suck-back when I cold crash I usually swap out the airlock with a spunding valve before I do my D-rest.  That way I build a little pressure in the headspace and eliminate negative pressure when the temp drops.  Does this affect my FG when measured with a hydrometer?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Will carbonation affect my FG?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:06:07 pm »
No, but you need to de-gas the sample as if it were finished beer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:05:36 pm »
To prevent suck-back when I cold crash I usually swap out the airlock with a spunding valve before I do my D-rest.  That way I build a little pressure in the headspace and eliminate negative pressure when the temp drops.  Does this affect my FG when measured with a hydrometer?

We eliminate this problem by employing Old World fermentation technique...open air. Works quite nicely for the Pilsner Urquell Brewery. Yes, this is an actual photo of beer ferementing in a barrel, at the Pilsner Urquell Brewery!

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:12:57 pm »
I'm quite envious of that barrel and its contents.  :D
Charred oak maybe? Or beachwood?
The more primitive methods are intriguing, My Finn buddy makes Sahti with juniper foilage.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:46 am »

We eliminate this problem by employing Old World fermentation technique...open air. Works quite nicely for the Pilsner Urquell Brewery. Yes, this is an actual photo of beer ferementing in a barrel, at the Pilsner Urquell Brewery!

I’ve done open fermentations but always keg before fermentation is complete.  Yeast does an amazing job of eliminating oxygen but if you cold crash at the end of fermentation sitting out in the air you will inevitably have some major oxidation issues.